Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am investigating the possibilityof re-locating the factory a/c condenser to allow better airflow to the radiator. Any ideas as to where it could be fitted without major modifications. Mounting on the roof or in the tray are not really an option but would be happy to have a custom unit made to suit another mounting option / application.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I don't really see what other options you have

I assume you are looking at moving it due to a overheating issue

Do you know the cause of the overheating & can you fix it in some other way & leave the condensor where it is instead

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
Agree with Don, if it is a overheating problem ? you will most likley find you will stuff around moving condensor, and still have a overheating problem !

What cooling fan/s are you running ?

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, she runs a little hot when pushed hard while towing. Nothing that cant be managed by dropping back below 100 into 4th gear but still a little annoying.....

The cooling system as currently fitted is in good shape and everything appears to working correctly, it is just not big enough....

Currently i have a PWR radiator utilising with their standard 55mm / 16 Fins per inch (FPI) core. PWR offer a 68mm core and a 55mm close mesh (19 FPI) core so in order to increase my cooling capacity, either of these cores should do the job right?? Wrong - PWR advise that fitting either of these cores into the Patrol may well have the opposite effect due to the reduction in air flowing through the core due to the restriction caused by the extra 13mm of core thickness or the extra 3 fins per inch. Basically, the thicker the radiator the faster you have to be going to get the appropriate amount of air moving through it. Hence why a v8 supercar will overheat if driving around town....

The importance of airflow through the radiator was further confirmed after speaking with Brad from Brunswick Diesel. They have developed their own radiator specifically for these engines which has a 58mm / 14 FPI core. When doing wind tunnel testing during the development they found that cooling efficiency actually started to drop off at highway speeds if they went to a thicker core or 16 FPI. The efficiency drop off was obviously even more obvious at lower speeds.

So, according to the experts, if i can increase airflow through my existing radiator i will almost certainly see an improvement and possibily open up the option of fitting either of the above mentioned cores. The condenser core pretty much spans most of the effective length of the radiator and seemed like a good place to start.......

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
looking at that bullbar and lights i think they would be reducing airflow quite a bit

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking at that bullbar and lights i think they would be reducing airflow quite a bit
I have since removed the lights and am looking at ways to increase airflow through the Bull Bar. This is how it currently looks. The hoop angles fwd and is about 300mm off the grill

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
that bar needs to go. Right in front of the grille and very large diameter.
It's pretty much ornamental anyway with nothing at the sides.

You need to decide which you like to do more:
A: sit and look at it
B: drive it.

Tough choice, its a nice bar.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts

x 2 try a different bar or try with out to see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
What year is your motor? There are many types of fan and coolant pump uprade kits out there.

Silly big old IDI iron blocks will need high coolant flow.

Personally cant see the problem being much to do with airflow but water flow. GM went through about 8 different water pump designs looking for a good one.

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree regarding the coolant flow. Mine is around '00 vintage with the V-Belt front. Apparently the serpentine front has a better water pump but the cost of the conversion to serpentine is prohibitive at this stage. I have been trying to track down a high volume water pump for the v-belt front from the US and apparently they do exist but most suppliers are having trouble getting stock.

at the moment i have a 110 GPH EWP fitted in the radiator outlet hose working in series with the standard chev mechanical pump so am fairly happy that i am getting plenty of water movement.

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yeah, been looking at the bar for a while now. It doesn't look as bad side on but would certainly have some effect. Just can't bring myself to do it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts