Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one guys, if your going to install a aircon unit into a mq/mk that didn't originally come out with one make sure you get a complete unit.. That's everything including the wiring loom, receiver dryer all the pipes etc..

I ended up making one from two different cars and the fittings even though they actually fit together are different..

Thought I would chuck this up as right now it's costing me $88 an hour to rectify..

Registered
nissan patrol mk
spewin' hope it doesn't take to many hours to get fixed! Better than paying $3000 for a new setup though! ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i guess so but i put a lot of work into it to try and avoid the ridiculous amount of money they charge per hour.. I was expecting initially 200 and now im thinking 400, gonna spend the next few weeks paying off the credit card..lol

Registered
nissan mk
Make sure you fit the small controller that drops out the air con when you give it full throttle. I have a full kit of bits but the compressor mount doesn't match the compressor. It will be a bit of messing around as I need to drill and tap 3/8" plate for the four new bolts.

The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
I was told to have mine regased i would heav to get it retro fitted and have a new drier mounted as the old is not compatable with the new gas, they want a lot of money for it, so i did not worriy about it.

So........now I'm going to reinstall my air con and regas it with lpg, Yes i know there have been discussions about it and how it is illegal, but i think there is such a small amount of gas, and you can smell it easily if it leaks, I don;t think the danger is that big and i have a few mates with it done and no issues. So thats what i'm going to do. And there is added benifits to lpg like it is cold as hell, Hold on the antartic!!!!
Was going to be for summer but we did not have one, so it will be just a project for when i get around to it.

Registered
nissan mk
I was told that the new gas runs at a slightly higher pressure that's why they suggest new
"O" rings. Drier can remain as long as its not blocked. Was told they will re-gas mine and if the drier is stuffed they will replace and gas again. Bit of extra labor a small amount of gas, generic drier can be used as long as pipe fittings match up the guy told me its no problem but adds about $50 to the job (Normal gassing about $90)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's not finished and it's up to $429... This is killing me, there has to be something I have missed under te dash..

Would there be a difference in heater controls between a factory air con and one without??

nissan
not as i'm awair. Have you got the micro switchs installed, to turn the compresoor on????
If the micro switch ar intalled as per factory it has the controls need to be set on riecirclate and the on vent or bi level. Is the compressor clutch trowing in???
I'm going to ditch the micro switches and just go for a single push button switch with a little to tell me it is on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are said micro switches.. That's the problem we have now, nothing to tell the clutch on the conpressor to engage..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything is gassed ready to go but the problem above is what we need to get it working..

Registered
the micro switches are a little extra loom that mount onto the controls. when the slider moves over for example, after a certain distance it clicks the little switch, telling it its set to cold and put the aircon on obviously.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm I reckon they are there I must not of installed them.. I'm thinking any decent auto electrician should be able to bypass them..

Registered
just 12volt to the clutch by the sounds of it. i think all the micro switches do is power the clutch when the dial is on cold and the fan is on. if either switch is off, no power.

Registered
nissan patrol mk
you should just be able to run a normal switch to activate the clutch, similar to a Commodore

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And by being patient what would that achieved???

What were you gonna drive down and come wire it up for me??? Lmao:):)

I think little things like this are unavoidable but great things to discuss on a forum so hopefully someone else can avoid it..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But the issue there is the temperature is not controlled and you run the risk of freezing the compressor. I think it's a little bit more involved than that... Unfortunately..

nissan
I have a little coil thinkg that goes in my heater box, I guess thats some sort of thermostat for the a/c Have you got that ?????
You should be able to get rid of the micro switchs as long as every thing else is there (wireing).
If the micro switchs are switched on,it would only be the little thermo stat that would click the a/c in and out if it got to cold, I would assume anyway.
Just hook it up to 12volt to see if it works if it does **** hot and chase the wireing later, should then same on some coin rather then paying someone to do it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts