Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, we have a GQ patrol and have always had trouble with the aircon not working the way we thought it should, we have had it regassed and a new belt fitted and only works a bit sometimes and never what we would think it should and the fan didn't seem to blow out much air. so recently hubby thought he would take out the fan to see if it needed the blades cleaned as it was also a bit noisy, so popped out the glovebox and took out the fan which did need a clean, he noticed the bird cage (or thermostate cage) and this was covered in fluff so he removed that to clean it, then looked in behind where the cage was and there an area that was chocker full of leaves, fluff and bits, the fins on the evaporitive cooler were also clogged up (about 90% clogged) and looked corrosed, so got all the leaves and bits out and used a bit of wire with a small hook on the end to pluck out the bits from the fins, we used the vaccum cleaner to suck up most of the bits and left it open with a heater blowing on the fins to dry it out, then used a hard toothbrush taped on a stick to clean off the rest of the fins then vacced it out again and put it back. the difference it made is totally amazing, our GQ is now an ice block it now works better than we ever thought it would, so we thought we would share this with others as it a relatively easy and no expence job with great results.
chris.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
321 Posts
Thank you

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your welcome, the airflow we have now on the first fan setting is stronger than it was on the 4th fan setting

chris.

·
Registered
99 Posts
awsome find i think i just may have to do this to mine

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ours was a bit noisy, like fan noise but now it's cleaned up it nice a quiet.
sorry didn't think about taking photos when we did it, it wasn't till after and seeing how well it now works that i thought about sharing the info, if anyone has any questions about it feel free to get in touch with me through here or email
hope it works as well for everyone as it did for us
chris.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Thanks for the info, mine isn't running properly I'll try this first.

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it looked like a rats nest- very big rats nest haha, it was amazing how much was in there, but when we bought our car it had been sitting under a gum tree for 18months so that might have something to do with it.
chris.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Just finished mine, my evaporitive cooler wasn't to bad, but my thermostate cage had some fluff on it. The rear screws are pain to get in, if you have big build your going to struggle, aircon is running cooler.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Nice... I did fix my gaps a few years ago using the foam that Bunnings sells for window sills etc... will check again see if theres crap inside now...to be honest I always got cold A/C altho I see bubbles in that sight glass, mechanbic says leave it alone till it dies cause it has the old efficient gas in still... Oook :)

BTW check ALL duct connections as there are other parts where foam was used and it's gone... from fan to the vents...even the lateral ones.. the more you seal the more gets where it should ie to the louvres...

PS I found the 'hard' grade self adhesive tape was too hard... medium or soft will do (the grey one sold by Bunnings anyway)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts