Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to replace the air filter in my 4.8 at the local Repco. They had 3 filters at different price points, $68, $72, and $95. Anyone know what the difference really is between them? Is it just a brand thing or is there actually a difference in quality? I guess it's similar to the argument between using genuine or aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
I just went to replace the air filter in my 4.8 at the local Repco. They had 3 filters at different price points, $68, $72, and $95. Anyone know what the difference really is between them? Is it just a brand thing or is there actually a difference in quality? I guess it's similar to the argument between using genuine or aftermarket parts.
I purchased a genuine air filter the other day for a 4.2 diesel for $32, they cant be that different can they

GG

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Nissan filters are much better than the repco ones. The repco (maybe RYCO) one i bought for probably 80 bucks didn't have the metal cage around the paper element which promptly tore when cleaning the bulldust out of it in Innaminka. I had to plug it with wet toilet paper and hope for the best. Should have a spare on hand guess. I thought the Nissan ones were about $95??

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
4.8 filter comes with the lid of the airbox. Still $65 is the right price genuine from us.
There is only one filter so no idea why they woul have 3 different prices except brand maybe???

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Repco normally sell filters in Silverline, Repco brand then Ryco from cheapest to dearest.

·
Registered
95 Posts
repcos point of sale for the filters in good, better, best !!
personally i would use a uni filter for the patrol normally under 100 bucks i brought mine from fnb 4wd
supplies on ebay

cheers
mike

·
Registered
nissan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.8 filter comes with the lid of the airbox. Still $65 is the right price genuine from us.
There is only one filter so no idea why they woul have 3 different prices except brand maybe???
What he said below.

Repco normally sell filters in Silverline, Repco brand then Ryco from cheapest to dearest.
Right. But what I'm wondering is, what is the difference between the 3 to justify the price difference?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts