Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm finally getting around to putting a compressor into my patrol. I have decided to go with the "boss" compressor, but when i asked the bloke about air tanks he said it would be way cheeper to source your own, ie an old fire extinguisher, scuba tank etc... Well as it would happen i have the gas system from last 4b sitting in the garage,
i want to know if..
A) it would be ok to use this tank? i think its about 80 litres capacity?
B) is there such thing as to big of a tank?
C) or should i just go find something different

I can't see why i couldnt use it as its pressured tested for gas and has plumbing already fitted, let me hear your thoughts, any input will be great!!!

Thanks in advance, Simon

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
pros; good bragg factor
pump up all your tyres reasonably quick if it does hold enough air
could run air tools
cons
filling it will take a while
where to put it ( unless you are going to fit it in place of the standard tank )
once it is low on air it will take even longer to pump up your tyres

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
I reckon the tank should be no more than 20 L, or you will need to run the compressor for ages to have the required pressure. Best to have a smaller tank and the compressor will catch up between tyres. My opinion from experience.;)

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was planning to mount it under the tray somewere
i also think you both might be onto something about it being to slow to fill/ refill
but for now i think ill just get a few conections to set it up as its free and havnt really had to pay for it, ill see how it goes and if it is to slow i guess it can always go back into the shed lol, and if it works ever better ;)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
If you connect the compressor to a solenoid from your ignition it will only run when the engine is running. With that much compressed air you could easily run air tools. Filling tyres and reseating beads would be dead easy!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
142 Posts
the good thing about the boss compressor is that it is 100% duty cycle , basicly it can run all day without over heating

As Two Up pointed out "If you connect the compressor to a solenoid from your ignition it will only run when the engine is running. With that much compressed air you could easily run air tools. Filling tyres and reseating beads would be dead easy!!"

Based on the above, if you use the 80l tank you can fill it up while you are driving so you will have an adequate air supply whenever you need it !

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
As Two Up pointed out "If you connect the compressor to a solenoid from your ignition it will only run when the engine is running. With that much compressed air you could easily run air tools. Filling tyres and reseating beads would be dead easy!!"

Based on the above, if you use the 80l tank you can fill it up while you are driving so you will have an adequate air supply whenever you need it !
with that size compressor you would only want to run it with the engine running , even a couple of volts difference makes a big difference to the speed of the compresor, that combined with the fact they draw around 30 odd amps , it could drain your battery while you air up

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
I think 80L is far to big. Your compressor, while 100% duty cycle rated is not really designed for hours & hours of use and if it has to pump up 80L every day, you will wear it out very quickly.
I have 2 x 10L air tanks and a Boss Compressor and after 4 years it is on its way out and I spend 6 months of the year working away from home......
Don't get me wrong, i think the boss compressor is the best large compressor on the market and i am happy with the use i got out of it but at the end of the day, it is still only a 'consumer' model. I also think 20L is about right for a reservior and will still allow you to use air tools to some degree.

You also need to consider the amount of space it will take up. A lot to sacrifice for simply being able to pump up a tyre quickly....

my advice would be to sell the tank on ebay and buy a proper 10 or 20L tank with the cash raised.

If you do go ahead and fit it, somewhere in the system fit a schroder valve. This will allow you to fill up your tank from a servo and save hours on your compressor. however, most servos won't have 80L capacity for you....

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
it will also depend on what pressure switch he uses as to how long it will take , mine has a 130 psi switch and although it gets up to 100psi pretty quickly with a 15 ltr tank , that last 30 psi seems to take a while to get there

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Absolutely!!!

I originally had a 130psi switch and after about two years had to change to a 100psi as the compressor just wouldn't get there. Its now starting to struggle with the 100psi switch....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts