Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Have unstuck the other airbag recall from GU/GR as this latest one effects possibly many models so I'm stickying it hear in GPD.

Something like 4 million cars will be recalled in Australia following an ACCC investigation, some detail is contained within, will update as further detail becomes available.

Takata airbag concerns prompt compulsory recall of millions of Australian cars - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Do '00 Gu2s fall into that?

Edit;
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-24/takata-airbags-is-your-car-on-the-list/8722914#NissanList

Apparently they do.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wnet through this with mine early last year, supplied my VIN to Nissan and it came back clear, I also asked Garry to do a check with the same result, but the Govt paperwork said it was in the recall. This is a whole expansion on the schemozzle again so who knows. I'll take my VIN to the local dealer and see what they say this time, I think that is the best way forward, it's getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
nissan
88 Posts
If its on the list I would just demand replacing it anyway regardless of what the dealership says.

I have an 09 and will be taking it tomorrow and wanting a date prior to June as we are planning a large trip so want it done before that.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,559 Posts
My xtrail is 09 so just falls out of the recall by 1 year.

Tossing up whether to go and have a chat with Nissan but can’t imagine them coming to the party.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My xtrail is 09 so just falls out of the recall by 1 year.

Tossing up whether to go and have a chat with Nissan but can’t imagine them coming to the party.
If the VIN falls within the recall parameters they have no choice.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
If its on the list I would just demand replacing it anyway regardless of what the dealership says.

I have an 09 and will be taking it tomorrow and wanting a date prior to June as we are planning a large trip so want it done before that.
Good luck with that demand given how many vehicles world wide are affected and how much they are struggling to meet the demand. Some have been waiting much longer than that.

Nissan, like everyone else has to get their hands on enough stock to replace all the effected vehicles.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck with that demand given how many vehicles world wide are affected and how much they are struggling to meet the demand. Some have been waiting much longer than that.

Nissan, like everyone else has to get their hands on enough stock to replace all the effected vehicles.

Ed Zackery, and like last time they will be using older stock that still breaks down within 6 years and will need to be replaced again before times up.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
This all very interesting yet concerning, as I fall into the Alpha Airbag range. Which basically states stop driving the vehicle immediately from the ACCC.

Before I go marching into my local Mr Nissan, I need some help with clarification in the "Takata Recall Notice" From the ACCC, specifically to Manufacturers.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sy...tice_Guidance for vehicle manufacturers_0.pdf

Specifically page 1, right hand side, dot point 2 & 3. And page 3 bottom right dot points.

Are they required to supply you with transport for the whole replacement time starting from my inquiry, or just the time it takes to replace it in the workshop.

Seems like a bit of a grey area, but I miss things in translation sometimes when it comes to things like this.

Cheers.

Franky.:)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mate with somethig like 4mio to replace there just isn't enough alternative transport, it's all well and good for the ACCC to make poicy but it also needs to be practicle and achievable.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Mate with somethig like 4mio to replace there just isn't enough alternative transport, it's all well and good for the ACCC to make poicy but it also needs to be practicle and achievable.
Totally agree mate.
But where does the buck stop as a result of this published policy?
Just interested before I call and ask for a tow, and a limousine.:p

Franky.:)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Tongue in cheek just a little. Mate harden up and disconnect the airbag plug if it worries you that much.

Like G says it’s near impossible for any manufacturer to be able to rectify this quickly or supply curtesy vehicles etc. it’s not the car makers fault either, they have been screwed over worse than us in this instance.

The ACCC is a hollow organisation at the best of times but to pretend to flex their muscles and suggest the car makers have to do more than just replace the bags ASAP is a joke.

Seriously guys if the bag explosions worry you that much, disconnect them, some people out there believe it or not have been driving without airbags for decades.

We are all victims here but with millions across the world affected and the one company responsible bankrupted, it was never going to be fixed quickly.

Reactions: Franky73

·
Registered
314 Posts
What's the easiest way to disable the air bags? Is there a fuse that can be pulled or do I have to pull the horn pad off and disconnect the plug behind it? And what about the passenger side one? Pulling one single fuse would be great. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes there is a fuse in the dash on the drivers side slot, but you need to be a little careful, personally I would disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes before touching anything in the airbag system.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
So just to be clear, is this different from the initial recall or it encompasses that plus adding more models to it?

ie. had my passenger side bag replaced at the start of the year so I should be all good now or do I still need to worry?

Cheers.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So just to be clear, is this different from the initial recall or it encompasses that plus adding more models to it?

ie. had my passenger side bag replaced at the start of the year so I should be all good now or do I still need to worry?

Cheers.
It is added to and encompasses more vehicles, the ACCC had two issues, they thought it wasn't being handled fast enough and they also thought the scope was too narrow. As indicated earlier, many new replacement bags were fitted but, they were still of the same manufacturer and had the same issues so replacement before another 6 years expires was always on the cards, this fact was not well publicised.

The whole thing is very confusing and only the dealer that replaced it can answer your question fully. The Govt list says my VIN falls within the range but two sources from Nissan say it is not.

·
Registered
nissan
875 Posts
I'm surprised that Series 1 GU's aren't on the list. Had the daughter's Impreza passenger airbag done after a 3 month wait. Now got another letter from Subaru saying to bring it back in as the job may not have been done correctly!
The list is sure to get bigger.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,704 Posts
My take on this, after listening to discussions on the radio is, the real problem is if you have a collision and deployment is activated! I'm waiting to hear if that, is the only concern but if the company that made them goes into liquidation, what happens then? :confused:

I had the Patrol and Maxima done but the Maxima may need doing again! :confused:

Foo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 112 Posts