Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Well it's compulsory for dealers to inform people. Up to you what you want to do

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
FYI - if this helps anyone.

I have a Series III Ti Patrol (build nov 2003). I got my letter from nissan (dunno how coz I bought it used, maybe it got linked to me from the alloy wheel recall years ago) booked it in and it took them an hour to fix.

Don't quote me but digging deeper some time ago I read that the issue is with the Pax front airbag. These particular inflator canisters contain ammonium nitrate which has degraded and causes a higher pressure explosion. This then sends shards of metal through the airbag and through your passengers brain. Makes you wonder what the legal ramifications of this is if you fail to fix it.

And for the post a few pages ago, series ii had a safety pack option for ST models with a front pax airbag but series 1 Ti (and onwards) had a standard front pax airbag and side airbags.

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
This then sends shards of metal through the airbag and through your passengers brain.
Well dang isn't that a nice thought. :shock:

I think its just a case of the manufacturers looking at a database that has their VIN numbers linked to a rego number linked to an name & address? My patrol was also bought second hand, and wondered the same thing how i would end up receiving the recall (if i would, and i did..) and figured thats all it took.

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Well it's compulsory for dealers to inform people. Up to you what you want to do
Hold that thought...

There is a move to make it impossible to register a car without the fix, as per Japan.

News article

The legal ramifications of your car killing a passenger after you've been notified could also be an issue.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
Well dang isn't that a nice thought. :shock:

I think its just a case of the manufacturers looking at a database that has their VIN numbers linked to a rego number linked to an name & address? My patrol was also bought second hand, and wondered the same thing how i would end up receiving the recall (if i would, and i did..) and figured thats all it took.
My car was bought 2nd hand and they had no problem finding the address its registered at.
Having said that. Nissan have no idea which vehicles they have already fixed.
I received a very serious letter from them stating that my family was in danger of dieing from it. This was several weeks after I had it done.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
My car was bought 2nd hand and they had no problem finding the address its registered at.
Having said that. Nissan have no idea which vehicles they have already fixed.
I received a very serious letter from them stating that my family was in danger of dieing from it. This was several weeks after I had it done.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
The mailout process would likely be started a few weeks before you received the letter. Manufacturers go thorough a process to get the registration data from NEVDIS before also cleaning that data up further.

There would then be any delay after you had the work carried out before the dealer claimed it from the manufacturer. So may have been still active when they gathered the data for the mail out.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
The mailout process would likely be started a few weeks before you received the letter. Manufacturers go thorough a process to get the registration data from NEVDIS before also cleaning that data up further.

There would then be any delay after you had the work carried out before the dealer claimed it from the manufacturer. So may have been still active when they gathered the data for the mail out.
Id say you are very correct.
Unfortunately the rest of their dodgy and somewhat dangerous practices didn't inspire confidence that they did the job correctly.
I could live with the fact that they left dirty hand prints all over my dash. I could live with the fact that they fcked the settings on my dashcam. What I can't live with was the fact that they reported on the job report that they hooked up consult and checked for error codes after replacing the inflator and wiring harness. Job report stated that no codes were found. Luckily for me I have a ECUtalk on my dash that tells me that they didn't bother checking anything after doing the job or I would be totally unaware that there were infact 2 current codes. One of them relating to the brakes. My GU will never go there again that's for sure.

I like shiny stuff

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
This then sends shards of metal through the airbag and through your passengers brain.
I get a few passengers with whom this would be a blessing, for me ...

They never shut up ...

Reactions: klappers

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I find the backpackers scream less when you duct tape their mouths shut.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 09
654 Posts
I had mine done today. I have had about 3 letters over a period of years. I thought it was about time, so I booked it in last week. You can’t rush these things. Now I need to send my Y62 in for its wheel recall.

·
Registered
nissan
233 Posts
Just received a letter from Nissan advising that my replacement airbag needs to be replaced in 2019.
Hope this replacement will be the last.

Tom

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Just received a letter from Nissan advising that my replacement airbag needs to be replaced in 2019.
Hope this replacement will be the last.

Tom
Yes I saw someone on facebook post something similar. Replace the replacement airbag. What is going on, did they give you an adequate explanation as to why it needs doing again?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yes I saw someone on facebook post something similar. Replace the replacement airbag. What is going on, did they give you an adequate explanation as to why it needs doing again?
This was part of the original discussion, the bags they replaced earlier were of the same make/design/quality as the original ones so they have a life max of 5 years, this is one reason the replacement project has become so complicated because they physically didn't/don't have the numbers in replacements of the improved design, this is quite a complicated affair with possible injury ramifications if not handled correctly.

·
Registered
nissan
233 Posts
Geordie,
No explanation, just a statement that the current replacement was faulty.

I read somewhere a few months back that the first lot of replacements were definitely faulty and they were hoping that their later manufacturing date gave them some breathing space to get get fully serviceable units available.

I wonder if they give any guarantee that the next replacement will be fully serviceable.

Tom

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,704 Posts
We got our 2nd notice for the Maxima this week. :headwall:

Foo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Geordie,
No explanation, just a statement that the current replacement was faulty.

I read somewhere a few months back that the first lot of replacements were definitely faulty and they were hoping that their later manufacturing date gave them some breathing space to get get fully serviceable units available.

I wonder if they give any guarantee that the next replacement will be fully serviceable.

Tom
This was part of the original discussion, the bags they replaced earlier were of the same make/design/quality as the original ones so they have a life max of 5 years, this is one reason the replacement project has become so complicated because they physically didn't/don't have the numbers in replacements of the improved design, this is quite a complicated affair with possible injury ramifications if not handled correctly.
With 40 million to be replaced in the US alone and 100 million estimated for world wide this will continue for a long time.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61 2014Titanium
42 Posts
Just received a letter today from Nissan. For some reason being a 2014 Y61 I didn't think I was affected.

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Just received a letter today from Nissan. For some reason being a 2014 Y61 I didn't think I was affected.

I got an email two or three days ago and a letter yesterday. Mines a 2016, maybe they’re just doing them all now?

Either way it’s booked in to get them replaced Tuesday fortnight.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,403 Posts
I got a letter today too. Mines a 2016 also

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 112 Posts