Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,531 Posts
Got a letter and email last week for mine. Passenger side only. 2014.

My understanding is Nissan is prioritizing QLD, NT and WA first due to high temp / humidity. Then the colder states. The original 5 year life span was for worst case environmental conditions, so newer cars could be delayed without risk.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Looks like SA is the first state to not renew rego on vehicles that haven't had the faulty airbads replaced. https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/south-australia-bans-takata-airbags-119445 :cheers:
This is the biggest piece of BS I have seen. Fair enough if bags were available and the owner has been delaying it for some reason but what about the owner who might still be waiting for the dealers to get enough stocks to do the job. I know if it was me and it was out of my control I would be really p!ssed. What if these cars are the owners only means of transport. Why the hell can't the bags just be disabled until the the replacement can be done. For ****'s sake we've been driving without airbags for close on 100 years. Surely we can drive cautiously without for a little while while waiting for a replacement if there are still delays, rather than basically impounding someone's possibly only vehicle till they can be done. i can see a crap load of unregistered vehicles still being driven around and still with dangerous airbags.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Got my 2011 Subaru done just six months ago... then last week a letter saying it has to be done again but not til 2020 and they’ll contact me then!

Turned in to a farce.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,436 Posts
This is the biggest piece of BS I have seen. Fair enough if bags were available and the owner has been delaying it for some reason but what about the owner who might still be waiting for the dealers to get enough stocks to do the job. I know if it was me and it was out of my control I would be really p!ssed. What if these cars are the owners only means of transport. Why the hell can't the bags just be disabled until the the replacement can be done. For ****'s sake we've been driving without airbags for close on 100 years. Surely we can drive cautiously without for a little while while waiting for a replacement if there are still delays, rather than basically impounding someone's possibly only vehicle till they can be done. i can see a crap load of unregistered vehicles still being driven around and still with dangerous airbags.
Its only around 700 vehicles that are still affected in South Australia and stocks are available for replacement.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I guess as long as the numbers are really small and they are catching up then it may not be too bad. Haven't been following the numbers that closely, wife's new Pajero was done early and my ute has no bags. Mind you Mitsubishi contacted us not long ago saying they had no record of doing ours which is a worry if they are not recording them properly.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,983 Posts
I own 5 Navara's and 1 patrol. Contacted Nissan several times now, sent emails, spoke to the local dealer. All of them are on the list, but when you contact Nissan they say it's ok!!! Basically told to bugger off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
I guess as long as the numbers are really small and they are catching up then it may not be too bad. Haven't been following the numbers that closely, wife's new Pajero was done early and my ute has no bags. Mind you Mitsubishi contacted us not long ago saying they had no record of doing ours which is a worry if they are not recording them properly.
Same here. 2 letters before they rang a few times. I went and got it done and 2 weeks later I got another letter saying that I had to get it done.

I like shiny stuff

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,531 Posts
I own 5 Navara's and 1 patrol. Contacted Nissan several times now, sent emails, spoke to the local dealer. All of them are on the list, but when you contact Nissan they say it's ok!!! Basically told to bugger off.
Not all cars in a VIN range are necessarily affected. Nissan checks and prioritises basically every vehicle on it's own merits, just because it is such a logistical nightmare.

I checked with Nissan on three separate occasions if mine is affected. The last time was about 6 months ago and the reply I got then was "Not yet..." :shock: Sure enough, "not yet" turned into "yes" and I got an email, letter and sms all within the space of a week.

My advice... Just make sure your details for all of your cars are up to date with Nissan. They'll contact you if / when the time comes. If not, keep driving. ;)

PS. I've heard rumours that dealers are going to be instructed to start door knocking on registered owners in their designated areas that are not responding to requests to bring their cars in. If they still play hardball, they'll be classified as a "non-responsive" customer and the vehicle will be flagged, possibly for future de-registration.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,633 Posts
From what fester has said, make sure you get a docket saying when and where the work was done. Be a bugger to have your vehicle deregistered because someone at the stealership forgot to do the paperwork :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,241 Posts
Mine's on the list I got a text message, email and letter from Nissan. Called up the local Darwin dealer and they said it would be done in October, but the thing will be pulling a trailer around Central Aus at that point for a month.

Told them November is fine.

Thanks for the head's up re: receipt fellas.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Question for those that have had the passenger airbag done, did they have to remove and re-fit the dash to get it changed.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
No
It's accessed from underneath after the glove box is removed from what I understand.

Franky.:)
OK thanks. Good because I was just deciding if I should fit my new dash now or wait till after the airbag recall change is done as I don't want to put it all back together to have them pull my new dash out and my new leather steering wheel off and bugger something or scratch it up.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
OK thanks. Good because I was just deciding if I should fit my new dash now or wait till after the airbag recall change is done as I don't want to put it all back together to have them pull my new dash out and my new leather steering wheel off and bugger something or scratch it up.
Mine was in and out in two hours as it should be.
I'd like to see someone pull all that sh#t off, and put back on in that time. LOL

Franky.:)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Not sure if it is across AU but the news the other night stated that cars in QLD that have been recalled but had not been fixed would have their rego cancelled, if it was booked in then that was fine, no action taken.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,531 Posts
I was lucky enough to be present when I got mine done so I witnessed the whole process.

Dash doesn't need to come out. On my S9, the airbag assembly is dropped down after removal of the glove box, central locking and NATS modules.

Although only the inflator is the suspect part, the entire airbag assembly needs to be replaced. The new inflator is a slightly different size than the old one, so it doesn't fit in the old airbag. The airbag and inflator are supplied separately and need to be pre-assembled by the dealer. The inflator is common for various models. The airbag is obviously not.

The inflator is held in position by 4 special nuts that cannot be reused and are part of the kit. The kit also includes a replacement harness that connects directly to the inflator. The connector on the harness cannot be removed from the inflator without destroying it, once it's clipped in, which is why it's also replaced.

New inflator and airbag serial numbers are recorded against the VIN on a Nissan global website, so they know exactly which parts went into the vehicle.

All in all, it's a fairly simple process. The most difficult part is the pre-assembly because you have to be careful to ensure the inflator is installed correctly (without damaging the new airbag) and the nuts are tightened to the correct torque.

The old inflator that came out of my car looked brand new and had no signs of corrosion however, the car is only 4 years old and is permanently garaged in Melbourne. High temperature and humidity are major contributing factors. My car has been well protected against this all its life.

Nissan has plenty stock of replacement parts. There's no reason why you can't get it done within a reasonable time period. Also, dealers are obliged to give customers a loan car if necessary so you really have no excuse not to get it done.

Car companies and dealers are caught between a rock and a hard place. The ACCC is leaning heavily on manufacturers to get it done in a short space of time, but dealers are having to manage "difficult" customers who don't really see this as a priority. I'm all for de-registration of vehicles that does not comply. The biggest problem is not the dealers or the car companies, but the actual owners of these cars.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I'd suggest watching the 60 minutes report on Channel 9. It will give you some insight on what can potentially happen if a faulty inflator is triggered.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts