Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running airbags in their front coils? I did read in one 4wd action mag there is.
Just wondering pro's and con's.

cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Why??

The idea of airbags is to allow you to adjust the spring support in the rear when you load up with items for camping or towing but generally on a day to day basis run the vehicle with far less weight.

The front does not really suffer from the same inconsistent loading and unloading??

If you fit a bar and winch then replace the springs to suit the new weight. You should be able to match your front springs to be the best possible match without this extra help.

my 2c

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
Why??

The idea of airbags is to allow you to adjust the spring support in the rear when you load up with items for camping or towing but generally on a day to day basis run the vehicle with far less weight.

The front does not really suffer from the same inconsistent loading and unloading??

If you fit a bar and winch then replace the springs to suit the new weight. You should be able to match your front springs to be the best possible match without this extra help.

my 2c
I agree.
The only logic i could see is if you regularly carry the mother inlaw in the front seat? ;)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
not possible. The patrol's bumpstop is inside the coil. So a Polyair will not fit.
Yom, you could run them without the bumpstop in there though, the 80series Yotas have the internal bumpstop in the rear that you take out for airbags. regardless, its not a good idea.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just asking because as I said there was a GU in 4wd action that had them in and the topic come up at my mates who is a mechanic, I was asking what would happen to the wheel alignment when pumped up. This came about when he let the air out off the rear air bags before he did the wheel alignment.

cheers

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
I had wheel alignment issues with my IFS surf with rear airbags because it would affect the camber by shifting the weight forward or back and therefore lowering or raising the front slightly. But I would have thought it would make little difference to wheel alignment with front and rear solid axles.

I too have seen a GU with front and rear airbags, does not make a massive amount of sense. I guess you could pump them up with an on board compressor for a little extra clearance, but then that would be at the expense of travel so hardly worth it for the effort and cost.

I guess if you carries heavy gear on the roof (maybe a heavy tinny or roof top tent) it could help with stiffening up the suspension for cornering. That would make sense but it would also make the ride fairly firm.

And yes Yom, you just pull out the bump stops, it's the standard way to fit them on yotas, the air bags work as bump stops even when deflated as they still can't be completely compressed unless you have the valve removed and or a hole/leak in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts