Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
886 Posts
I bought one of these box's from Ben, cost me $375 delivered plus about $90 for the K&N pod. Never fitted it and now decided on a panel box where the battery normally goes so may be selling this one now
What would you be chasing for it?

Not sure what's happening with the LS A/B. I've spoken to him over the phone a few times now and he reckons he's got my name an order there but I havent heard since last Thursday.

If I end up with a modded ZD Box, A Rad and a Pod A/B so be it... they can be tested against each other.

Ta.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
@JT54

Attempting to order a Radius Fab panel filter A/B after all after talking with Richie today over the phone. Will fall back to these other options like you've got if it doesn't go through.

Will probably connect it with a Fabwitz intake setup (I'll need the turbo flange at the least)

I just like the idea I can pull out a filter and replace it. I dont want to be cleaning and oiling more air filters (I have 4 dirtbikes in various stages of build and a scooter - I hate that job!)
Did you ever end up completing this job? I’m keen to see if a radius fab panel filter airbox can be easily mated to the fabwitz pipework, or stock pipework for that matter.

I’m not personally worried about the second battery, as I’ll be keeping mine in the back

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Certainly could get pipework to suit LS1 from Fabwitz but could save $s by making it up yourself (3" to turbo and use existing MAF section from stock intake).

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
886 Posts
Did you ever end up completing this job? I’m keen to see if a radius fab panel filter airbox can be easily mated to the fabwitz pipework, or stock pipework for that matter.

I’m not personally worried about the second battery, as I’ll be keeping mine in the back
No not yet.

If I used the standard maf housing I'd have to saw the end off it to for the silicone reducer. A little bit of a risk for me as I dont know if I can make it fit and dont have a spare.

the other thing is relocating the coolant bottles. Need to have a look at the brackets and what needs to be made.

Not sure how much I want to dick around with it, I'm a little wary of cooling system mods.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No not yet.

If I used the standard maf housing I'd have to saw the end off it to for the silicone reducer. A little bit of a risk for me as I dont know if I can make it fit and dont have a spare.

the other thing is relocating the coolant bottles. Need to have a look at the brackets and what needs to be made.

Not sure how much I want to dick around with it, I'm a little wary of cooling system mods.
The K&N pod airbox (Ben LIpscombe job) works well without lots of mods.. Could do the 300mm long (CRD) or the 330mm long (TD) that I use_ only needed to mod the radiator cowl by removing 10mm of mat'l _easily done. No other mods. Also fits with the std aux battery placement. Can plumb up (make duct yourself), if helps could send you my stock MAF pipe section if you need a spare while modifying your own and send back after job done (if suits). Example pic attached came across that shows how to do own pipework.
Bens Box 300mm.jpg
POD AIR BOX_Assy.jpg

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
886 Posts
The K&N pod airbox (Ben LIpscombe job) works well without lots of mods.. Could do the 300mm long (CRD) or the 330mm long (TD) that I use_ only needed to mod the radiator cowl by removing 10mm of mat'l _easily done. No other mods. Also fits with the std aux battery placement. Can plumb up (make duct yourself), if helps could send you my stock MAF pipe section if you need a spare while modifying your own and send back after job done (if suits). Example pic attached came across that shows how to do own pipework.
View attachment 514308 View attachment 514309
Looks good. I almost went that way TBH. And may end up there if I cant/dont make the Radfab one work.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
Persist with the Radius Fab LS1 would be good.
Revisiting this thread... I was keen on the panel filter, but have since installed an aux battery under the bonnet with an ARB tray. I’m not willing to relocate battery and certainly not coolant system components.

Current setup is a fabwitz ram head 4” snorkel, Patroldocta airbox with 4” inlet, to stock pipework to turbo.

JT, can you clarify the intake pipework from your airbox to turbo from fabwitz... was that a custom order, or the same intake he provides for his round airbox?

And is the setup working well with your front mount?

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
Disregard my previous post... Have had a chat with Fabwitz, Ben Lipscombe and Fatz fabrication.

Ben does not make an intake, rather he provides a list of parts needed to use the standard MAF housing. Basically a few silicone reducers and joiners.

JT54, fabwitz tells me your intake pipe was a custom order. 3" all the way and will match up to his 2.5" turbo inlet.

Fatz Fab (Not to be confused with Fabwitz) do a total package. Very similar looking airbox to Ben Lipscombe and a custom intake pipe including 3" MAF housing that matches up to the standard turbo inlet.

I may end up patch-working a setup together from all 3 of them...

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Disregard my previous post... Have had a chat with Fabwitz, Ben Lipscombe and Fatz fabrication.

Ben does not make an intake, rather he provides a list of parts needed to use the standard MAF housing. Basically a few silicone reducers and joiners.

JT54, fabwitz tells me your intake pipe was a custom order. 3" all the way and will match up to his 2.5" turbo inlet.

Fatz Fab (Not to be confused with Fabwitz) do a total package. Very similar looking airbox to Ben Lipscombe and a custom intake pipe including 3" MAF housing that matches up to the standard turbo inlet.

I may end up patch-working a setup together from all 3 of them...
Why not make your own? very easily done, bits are available just from Auto one.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
That is how I did mine sooooo many years ago and still working fine.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
@jackbyo apologize for not picking up on your questions as only saw it today.
The forum does not allow me to access my account as @JT54 and hence am not notified of subject posts via email or alerts:mad:

Had to create new account @Bidja which is who I now am:oops:. Strange though, I remain to get "trending post notification" in my email inbox, but guess that is a locally generated advice @geeyoutoo

As you read, I used the 340mm long pod box (TD42 build)_4" thru spigots from Ben for my 08 CRD and needed to cut away some of the radiator plastic cowl for fit (air panel saw was my friend for the box and 4" snorkel install). CRD specific box is 300mm long. The 340mm gave me approx 40-50mm clearance from box bottom face to K&N pod base . Yeah Fatz Fabrication do a similar box, their lid is clear which would provide improved visibility of filter, recon Ben could make similar as his box lid as his has a dark tint (still fine for me).

Had Fabwitz (Corey) make up a custom 3" SS pipe from airbox to turbo for my install and had the MAF port placed on the Aux battery side for ease of access.
If, had my time again would have used a 4-3" x 90° silicon from air box into the cut down stock MAF housing, then silicon/joiners_SS straights to the turbo silicon reducer bend(3-2.5"). The stainless pipe is a big heat soak, so I wrapped that with exhaust wrap and used a wet suit sleeve and gold reflective tape over all. Did similar with air box_covered alloy box with weighted vinyl and over that covered with heat reflective foil backed with butyl rubber and made up a removable heat reflective flat pad which sits on top of filter box lid. Must help to reduce air intake temp and induction noise.

Airbox_Build Up Acoustic and Heat.jpg
Induction Pipe_Gold Wrap.jpg

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
That is how I did mine sooooo many years ago and still working fine.
Very convincing

If, had my time again would have used a 4-3" x 90° silicon from air box into the cut down stock MAF housing, then silicon/joiners
That’s very interesting. The greater flow compared to the stock MAF not worth the heat soak I suppose?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Stock MAF housing section has an internal dia at port of 70mm and the ID of 76mm (3") SS pipe is 73mm _ IMO, consider that the restriction in flow would be very minimal (no mesh retained of course). Compare all up costs.

Using the stock MAF section, the airbox side of MAF port provides a good fit for a 76mm silicon joiner (eg: use the 4"-3" x 90° bend), U need to trial the ability of a silicon joiner to clamp firm down on turbo side of the MAF port section (has smaller OD) post removal of flange.

When I installed my pod airbox (4" thru), had a 600x300mm Jonny Tig TMIC fitted and the room only allowed for the 3" piping. Have a front mount cooler installed now and if this was in earlier would have considered 4" piping to the turbo.

I run louvers on the bonnet (600x300mm cut out) in lieu of a scoop that allows for heat to escape from engine bay and the hot air flow out is significant. Did not measure induction air temp differentials but the non lagged SS piping (hot side of cooler and from airbox) got real hot to touch and with lagging has reduced induction noise.

CRD_MAF housing section with silicon.jpg

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Top pipe section shown is the custom Fabwitz 3" used(air box to turbo) and shows adopted approach of wrap (exhaust wrap, wet suit sleeve and gold reflective foil for both). Bottom pipe is FMIC hot side (first section) from turbo.

Induction Fibre Glass Wrap.jpg

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
Top pipe section shown is the custom Fabwitz 3" used(air box to turbo) and shows adopted approach of wrap (exhaust wrap, wet suit sleeve and gold reflective foil for both). Bottom pipe is FMIC hot side (first section) from turbo.

View attachment 518244
Thanks mate. I didn’t realise the stock maf housing was that size. Barely any difference from a 3” steel intake then, and without the heat soak.

Large top mount won’t be a problem for me, I’ll be going front Mount one day. Fabwitz is now doing FMIC kits similar to the PDI setup

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
886 Posts
Stock MAF housing section has an internal dia at port of 70mm and the ID of 76mm (3") SS pipe is 73mm _ IMO, consider that the restriction in flow would be very minimal (no mesh retained of course). Compare all up costs.

Using the stock MAF section, the airbox side of MAF port provides a good fit for a 76mm silicon joiner (eg: use the 4"-3" x 90° bend), U need to trial the ability of a silicon joiner to clamp firm down on turbo side of the MAF port section (has smaller OD) post removal of flange.

When I installed my pod airbox (4" thru), had a 600x300mm Jonny Tig TMIC fitted and the room only allowed for the 3" piping. Have a front mount cooler installed now and if this was in earlier would have considered 4" piping to the turbo.

I run louvers on the bonnet (600x300mm cut out) in lieu of a scoop that allows for heat to escape from engine bay and the hot air flow out is significant. Did not measure induction air temp differentials but the non lagged SS piping (hot side of cooler and from airbox) got real hot to touch and with lagging has reduced induction noise.

View attachment 518242
Bidja,
Considering you have the Fabwitz setup, would you be interested in parting with your MAF housing and possibly airbox too?

I've been trying to find spares to attack with power tools but the wreckers up here are giving me the run around.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Bidja,
Considering you have the Fabwitz setup, would you be interested in parting with your MAF housing and possibly airbox too?

I've been trying to find spares to attack with power tools but the wreckers up here are giving me the run around.
We could sort something out, PM me your Ph No and we can talk if this suits or via PM _ either way.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
All good and provides 50-60mm pod clearance(great).
Need to buy K&N pod filter: KNRE-0870.
Mate Ben recommended a “redline” filter to me that’s similar to K&N but 8” long and with an open face. He says it has the same amount of media as a KN 9” due to the open face.

personally I don’t want an off brand filter, but got me wondering if there’s any benefit to an 8” KN filter? Would give an additional bit of clearance before the filter that’s for sure.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts