Link doesnt work for me @Bidja

Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
Discussion Starter #82

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
The Text Below_Try to copy and paste/go into browser address bar:

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/02whole.pdf
No that didn't work either, I'm always looking for good docs for archives.

Registered
nissan
Interesting reading the comments re induction noise, I have the rear facing Fatz 4" snorkel/ pod air box and can hear it with window down however not at all with window up at any speed. I do only have a hi flowed factory turbo though, may be different in a couple of weeks with the new UFI fitted.馃槑

Registered
Mine has a factory Airteck snorkel top half but modified to 4" all the way through under the guard, it is noticeably louder with new UFI turbo and bigger air box. I really hear the snorkel and turbo whistle. Wife doesn't like it with the window down. I guess I won't go ahead and fit the planned 4" stainless snorkel now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #86
Ross, the copy and paste was working for me(not now), thinking this was possible as I had previously download the doc. When I attempted to save doc as new doc to post up, went and deleted all previous downloads stored on my C drive and then was unable to open original in the browser with the copy/past/go function. Maybe a good idea it did not work, as I now realise the the doc is over 200 pages (I read the summary), even though interesting, think it is too much for here anyway as goes pretty deep into the theory.

Basically what it is saying is that when "thin walled steel pipes are lagged (dampened) even lightly can result in reduced vibrational response of and acoustic radiation (noise caused from air turbulence)". Therefore gains can be achieved in noise reduction by applying acoustic dampening of thin walled airboxes and induction ducting.

Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
I should add, my opinion on the rear facing snorkel is based off having a fabwitz 鈥渓ow cut鈥 style which basically points into the passenger window

it was unbearable. I don鈥檛 know if the style up over the roof would be much different. I haven鈥檛 been in one with it.

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Where and how it is mounted to the body also plays a big part in noise transmission.

Registered
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Interesting reading the comments re induction noise, I have the rear facing Fatz 4" snorkel/ pod air box and can hear it with window down however not at all with window up at any speed. I do only have a hi flowed factory turbo though, may be different in a couple of weeks with the new UFI fitted.馃槑
Be interesting to hear back when you are at higher induction flow rate(think air ram will be on the cards) . Wife never puts the passenger window down rolling, good that she dislikes wind rushing in and around(so reduced hassle). Mine gets into it under load, do ease off to not draw attention when needed. Mine only doses slightly off the top(spooling quickly).

I run h/f turbo and even noticed a reduction in induction noise when I replaced a TMIC 600x300x76mm T&F with current FM (B&P) same size.

Induction noise can come thru windscreen glass(w/fwd facing ram hd). Have thought of running snorkel up over top of roof say 200mm and position the ram hd just aft of windscreen / in front of 3/4 roof rack (less chance of bashing up ram hd on scrub as well).

Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon

@Bidja just getting back to the original topic here. I was going to order the parts to put together an intake for the Ben Lipscombe box, similar to this pic above that you posted. Looks like 3 silicone bends are required, and Ben provided me with a alloy joiner 3" diameter and about 3"s long which you may be able to see above, just before the turbo. I would keep my stock MAF section which has already had the flange cut off for my current patroldocta airbox.

My question is, how can I run my provent breather hose into this kind of setup? Is there some kind of option I might be able to do at home without any welding? wondering I could drill out a hole for a CC/PCV port and silicone it in place on that alloy joiner perhaps... not sure

how much did Corey charge for your intake pipe? I might be keen to do the same

Registered
nissan
I should add, my opinion on the rear facing snorkel is based off having a fabwitz 鈥渓ow cut鈥 style which basically points into the passenger window View attachment 519844

it was unbearable. I don鈥檛 know if the style up over the roof would be much different. I haven鈥檛 been in one with it.
Mate has one similar to that and it is noisy alright. He does have a Garrett turbo though? The Fatz I have would point diagonally across the roof at the drivers side rear corner, maybe that helps?

Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
The Text Below_Try to copy and paste/go into browser address bar:

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/02whole.pdf
You need to upload it to the forum as an attachment. You're just copying and pasting a link from the hard drive on your computer so it won't work for anyone else...

Registered
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
View attachment 519853

@Bidja just getting back to the original topic here. I was going to order the parts to put together an intake for the Ben Lipscombe box, similar to this pic above that you posted. Looks like 3 silicone bends are required, and Ben provided me with a alloy joiner 3" diameter and about 3"s long which you may be able to see above, just before the turbo. I would keep my stock MAF section which has already had the flange cut off for my current patroldocta airbox.

My question is, how can I run my provent breather hose into this kind of setup? Is there some kind of option I might be able to do at home without any welding? wondering I could drill out a hole for a CC/PCV port and silicone it in place on that alloy joiner perhaps... not sure

how much did Corey charge for your intake pipe? I might be keen to do the same
Jack, I would have a look for a hydraulic flange spigot type fitting that has a male BSP full thread, that you could pass thru the silicon elbow wall (down stream of MAF), from the inside and secure in place with washer(seal) and a hex nut or collar(outside) to secure(could use second nut as locknut so won't rotate when screwing on CC barbed fitting). On the protruding thread section, fit a barbed fitting with f/m thread for CC return line. Something along these lines, I have a Fabwitz custom SS duct from box to turbo with a welded in fitting.

Alternatively, could get a piece of male BSP threaded brass tube, brazeweld a nut on inside end to act as the flange, then fix thru wall with the running nut/collar(use washers both sides and seal) and fit a barbed fitting for CC hose.
Can buy brass threaded cut-off risers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #94
You need to upload it to the forum as an attachment. You're just copying and pasting a link from the hard drive on your computer so it won't work for anyone else...
Did attempt to upload PDF as an attachment in the first place. Have decided not to post it. Thanks for the reply.

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
I should add, my opinion on the rear facing snorkel is based off having a fabwitz 鈥渓ow cut鈥 style which basically points into the passenger window View attachment 519844

Mine was up over the roof. It was like sitting in the middle of a hurricane!

Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
The pod in the pic you posted looks like it isnt filled in at the end.
Am I dreaming this? It'd be useless if it's really missing!
Ben who makes those airboxes sent me a link to one like that

It opens to a cone I believe. Not sure I trust that design or brand. I'll get a K&N

Mine was up over the roof. It was like sitting in the middle of a hurricane!
Not surprised. My ears were ringing after a 4 hour highway stint

Registered
Discussion Starter #98
The pod in the pic you posted looks like it isnt filled in at the end.
Am I dreaming this? It'd be useless if it's really missing!
Trev, have not used this type but have seen them around, eg: Aeroflow make them. Guess they have a blank disc further down the throat, guess gives a bit more surface area of filtration than one of same length with end cap. How they go for flow and turbulence do not know. ,.

Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
Alright so have gotten a quote of $230+post from fatz fab for their intake plumbing. It鈥檚 3鈥 mandrel bent alloy which is nice.
They鈥檝e said it can be made to accomodate whatever fittings I need.

so that鈥檚 just a MAF housing, a crankcase breather port (for catch can), and one boost nipple (for Tillix).
Is that it?

cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter #100
They鈥檝e said it can be made to accomodate whatever fittings I need.

so that鈥檚 just a MAF housing, a crankcase breather port (for catch can), and one boost nipple (for Tillix).
Is that it?
All good_same barbed fitting (screwed into the 1/8" BSP weld in boss) _ air feed to needle / vac side.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts