Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
134 Posts
Could somebody tell me how I'd get in contact with Ben if I don't have Facebook.
Cheers.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Could somebody tell me how I'd get in contact with Ben if I don't have Facebook.
Cheers.
Sent you a PM with Ben's contact details.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
551 Posts
Speaking to fatz fab about this intake pipe.
I’ve noted that my forefront intake pipe (and stock, I assume) has a boost nipple on it just after the MAF.
one of the lines from my Tillix runs to this boost line, circled in red on the left (right red circle is for crank case breather/catch can).

Fatz are indicating they don’t supply a boost nipple on the intake at all, just a filter that allows that boost line to be capped off and cable tied out of place somewhere. See correspondence here

"Sure thing Jack, our pipe does not have the Boost vent port as we supply the inline filter for the line, as the intake is under vacuum the boost vent port is only used as a return and is generally not referenced by any of the boost controllers or software - this means the vent can be just vented to the atmosphere when you insert the filter into the end of the vent line, after this is done you can cable tie the boost vent line out of the way higher in the engine bay or shorten the line for a neater look."

Does this seem right? I cant see why the tillix kit would run a line to the intake pipe if it's not needed at all?

this short line would then be deleted I think... I believe is the vacuum source for the needle valve. Not sure how it operates without a vacuum source??

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,002 Posts
Just a note of caution @jackbyo If you do manage to produce better more volume spool, that silicone hose will distort under spool acceleration causing the hose to close off restricting air supply to your turbo.It will probably work on STD power ZD30. Those moulded silicone hoses of that length need a support binder moulded into the silicone, from the photo it doesn't have any evidence of a binder. If you do see or feel the hose distorting you can cut the hose in the middle and slip in a short piece of 3 inch alloy tube to support the hose. I have used these hoses and have had our own hoses made and they distort badly even with a binder on a eclipse turbo. Hence the tube fit mod to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Fatz are indicating they don’t supply a boost nipple on the intake at all, just a filter that allows that boost line to be capped off and cable tied out of place somewhere. See correspondence here

"Sure thing Jack, our pipe does not have the Boost vent port as we supply the inline filter for the line, as the intake is under vacuum the boost vent port is only used as a return and is generally not referenced by any of the boost controllers or software - this means the vent can be just vented to the atmosphere when you insert the filter into the end of the vent line, after this is done you can cable tie the boost vent line out of the way higher in the engine bay or shorten the line for a neater look."

Does this seem right? I cant see why the tillix kit would run a line to the intake pipe if it's not needed at all?

this short line would then be deleted I think... I believe is the vacuum source for the needle valve. Not sure how it operates without a vacuum source??
To be able to adjust spool rate, you need a controlled fresh air supply(+ve pressures) via a needle valve, "Teed" into vac line supply to actuator.
By unscrewing needle, this allows more air to enter vac line to actuator and will increase the vacuum level required to raise the actuator rod/lever that controls the vanes_"open needle" more fresh air supply into vac line slower spool. Search around.
Check this video (might interest):

Can use an inline filter and is common for inside cab needle installs.
For engine bay install, prefer to hook into intake duct down stream of MAF. If you are going with the FATZ alloy pipe from airbox to turbo, as mentioned previously get them to weld in a boss with 1/8" BSP F/M thread and then screw in a barb fitting (for hose to needle).

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
Just a note of caution @jackbyo If you do manage to produce better more volume spool, that silicone hose will distort under spool acceleration causing the hose to close off restricting air supply to your turbo.It will probably work on STD power ZD30. Those moulded silicone hoses of that length need a support binder moulded into the silicone, from the photo it doesn't have any evidence of a binder. If you do see or feel the hose distorting you can cut the hose in the middle and slip in a short piece of 3 inch alloy tube to support the hose. I have used these hoses and have had our own hoses made and they distort badly even with a binder on a eclipse turbo. Hence the tube fit mod to solve the problem.
Agree, it is so easy to build your own out of short silicone sections and 3" ally tube, and build in all the fittings required to make it idiot proof. Then at a later date if a different turbo or inlet is fitted only the last bit needs to be changed.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Yes, he could use current forefront "cut/use the part section where ports are moulded in):
use 4-3" silicon 90° from airbox, to
stock MAF section(remove flange), with 3"silicon joiner to,
3" ally/SS tube to,
port molded cut section
3" ally/SS tube
silicon bend reduced down to suit 2.5" turbo inlet

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
551 Posts
Thanks guys. I had originally wondered if I could modify the forefront pipe, but because of that vacuum port right at the first bend I didn’t think it would be possible.
Different story now realising that port isn’t needed if running the needle valve elsewhere.

one problem is I’ve also ordered a fabwitz 2.5” turbo inlet. The stock inlet is 2” isnt it?
If so the forefront pipe won’t join the fabwitz inlet

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
Thanks guys. I had originally wondered if I could modify the forefront pipe, but because of that vacuum port right at the first bend I didn’t think it would be possible.
Different story now realising that port isn’t needed if running the needle valve elsewhere.

one problem is I’ve also ordered a fabwitz 2.5” turbo inlet. The stock inlet is 2” isnt it?
If so the forefront pipe won’t join the fabwitz inlet
My needle valve is in cab, so I have a silencer from a pneumatic exhaust valve from a solenoid as a filter under the dash, pic in my build thread. I have the pick up for clean air to my Digibooster vacuum solenoid tapped into one of the 3" ally sections I have on my airbox to turbo setup, again in build thread.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
551 Posts
My needle valve is in cab, so I have a silencer from a pneumatic exhaust valve from a solenoid as a filter under the dash, pic in my build thread. I have the pick up for clean air to my Digibooster vacuum solenoid tapped into one of the 3" ally sections I have on my airbox to turbo setup, again in build thread.
that’s a great setup. Definitely planning on running the needle in the cab. I like the idea of aggressive spool when required and then backing it off when sitting on the expressway.
Do you happen to know the diameter of the stock turbo inlet?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
that’s a great setup. Definitely planning on running the needle in the cab. I like the idea of aggressive spool when required and then backing it off when sitting on the expressway.
Do you happen to know the diameter of the stock turbo inlet?
Works well mate, pulling very good grunt through it. Are you talking about the turbo itself or the diam of the std inlet bend casting?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
BTW as you may know, a few years ago I was fabricating 2.5" inlets for the std gt2052, these were fabricated from ally bends not lobster tail from stst tubing. As it turns out I still have the one I took off after we changed the turbo, it also has provision for pre turbo water meth injection (when I say provision I mean the tubing is in place with a nozzle if you want it) that can be easily blocked if not using it. PM me if your intetested.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,240 Posts
Reactions: Bidja

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
551 Posts
Just saw this on Facebook. I know it's not the title of the thread but fits the theme. Maybe someone reading this that's interested.

By all accounts they are fantastic air boxes. Probably the best flowing and filtering option available off the shelf for a GU from what I understand.
Unfortunately they won’t allow an aux battery (not a big deal if you don’t mind it in the back) and more importantly some modifications required to the coolant expansion tanks is needed (moving them rearward 100mm I think?). I did speak to radius recently and although they only advertise it as an option for the TD or LS patrols, they told me they can fit them to a ZD and have it work with the MAF and everything.
I would definitely consider that radius box an option if I were starting again, especially if you end up doing significant mods such as aftermarket turbos, injectors etc.
great option for cheap and easily swapped filters too.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,240 Posts
Reactions: Millhouse88

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
@DAKING Sent U a message mate.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts