Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I started having this noise like something was catching or rattling in the water pump.. it could not be the water pump because I had changed it and used an original Nissan. Listening more closely it could have come from the aircon area. Then I switched on the A/C and the noise dissapeared...

On reading threads here I saw that the aircon compressor bearing might be the culprit... I took the idelr off and on turnin g it it seems ok, japanese bearing there - maybe a bit of vibration when stopping (turning it on my finger) - will take it to a gbox shop see what they say but it looks oK to me.

Anyway on to the compressor, I am stumped. Gregorys says nothign abt this, I have the electronic version of service manual for TB42 and it shows only one type of compressor, ie DKS-16H Diesel KiKi (lol). Anyway, on my 1991 MAv I have a DKS-15BH Diesel Kiki. Whatta... also the clutch looks differently to the pictures, I have two thin metal pulleys instead of one thick pulley...so its definitely not what they show. I will go to Nissan to ask what is the one that should be in...

THinking I can change the compressor bearing I have tried to take out the clutch. It will NOT come off easily and I didn;t force it... then I read you can put screws in and turn them to force the clutch out... I did that to a certain point - used mild steel screws so their thread eventually stripped - the clutch came off liek half way only - BUGGER!

Anyway I believe however that the screws have pushed on the bearing inside and stuffed it up (the grease seal etc) as now if I turn the AC com[pressor puylley I hear a grinding noise... that was not there before :mad: - so I probably made the situation worse. Fark...

My Ac was working pretty well altho I had bubbles in the sight glass ALL the time, and many of them - so perhaps charge is low ? I presume this is R12 anyway...

So - can anyone tell me what is the standard AC compressor to have in this truck and perhaps whether it would cost an arm and a leg to change over to R134a or whatever is called - will a lot of stuff need to be changed ? The drier needs to be changed anyway I am sure...

Finallly - is there any GOOD AC shop Brisbane North where I can get proper advice - a guy I called told me to leave it alone even if I have bubbles in as long as it works. Well I did that for 4 years at least but now I got the damned noise...and if I can;t change the bearing unless I take it out... and I believe pulling those thin pulleys with a puller will destroy them... Im farked...

Thank you and sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
natrad at brendale, dont go to red devil at lawnton, they are f*cken ****house and dishonest. Not to mention expensive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
EDIT - was that a stray answer from another thread ? Lol...

Thanks for that - in the meantime I went to SCheap, got 3 HiTens M5 bolts , screwed them back in the clutch housing and (since I thought I fked up the beaqring anyway) kept turning them until the bastard of clutch cover came out! I also got a harm balanccer extractor but there was no way in hell it woudl fit there...

And then the breakthrough: actually the pulley bearing has a crappy tin cover on top - that is what got whacked by the bolts I was screwin' in to push out the clutch cover. So the bearing was Ok !! So if I wanted, I could put it all back and forget abt it (I was quoted 300-400 to regas and whatnot the system)

But then I saw there was a circlip there - so maybe there was no need for an extractor... well I took it out, pulley wont come out BUT I put on a small (75mm) 2 arm puller that hooked into the pulley inside wall (it is very thin, not cast - so I was rly worried I would warp the pulley) and turned the extractor screw gently just to see what happens... the pulley started to move!! hehee... Well the pulley came off fairly easily.
To get clearance for all this, all I had to take off was the plastic bottom clip-on fan shroud ...Sweet! I was really lucky... that tin bearing cover is all warped but that has no role other than some sort of cover in front of the bearing... that didn't work anyway (crap was behind it). The bearing actually makes a noise so I'll have it changed... the whole unit was covered in crap and old grease etc... well 30 yrs old I guess?

BTW for the MAV owners out there - at Nissan I was told to take a hike, the AC was fitted in Aust apparently and they used Diesel - Kiki brand...so I would have had to go to Ford I guess. Manual showed the genuine Nissan one.

I'll put up some pics when Im done just to show the differences compared to the Nissan model.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK here are some pics of the DKS-15BH compressor by Diesel - Kiki (lol) used in 1991 Ford Maverick TB42S (carby) engine:

pulley:

Pulley bearing number:

Clutch:

Spacer I damaged when removing clutch:

Idler pulley bearing number:

Compressor with clutch and pulley removed, showing the coil:

Space is *very* limited but on this model it comes out wiothout removing anything except the clip on lower fan shorud...

Those are the old bearings, they look goiod but the pulley one has rought spots... thats what Ive been hearing - I HOPE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts