Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, installed an Airflow snorkel today in my GU. I didn't get a chance to do step-by-step pictures, my hands were covered in silicone for the duration :headwall: haha!
I thought it might be handy for anyone who is yet to put one in to see a couple of pictures anyways. Plus I'm stoked I finally got it in so naturally I'm keen to show a few people.

Getting stuck in to your panel with a hole saw gets the heart pumping. I needed a 111mm hole but the closest bit i could get was 114mm. Check twice, cut once! And masking tape is a good idea!

Here come the teeth!

No turning back now!

This hole had to be cut out to 114mm simply to access the inner part of the guard and cut yet another hole. You could remove the entire guard if you wanted but that looked like much more of an effort to me. Bit of galvanised paint to protect from rust.

Inside the guard, all ready to go!

Outside, all set! Unfortunately the template I had wasn't 100% accurate so some extra grinding was needed on the holes, which is fine as the washers are quite large and it is all hidden by the snorkel. But word of warning, measure everything and blind test as many times as it takes you to feel comfortable! Oh, and galv!
Unfortunately they are all the pictures I took as silicone came next, and what a mess that was! My last tip for anyone installing an Airflow snorkel - Yes the pipe *does* fit in the guard, it doesn't look like it will, and it probably shouldn't, but it fits! *Just*. But make sure you leave quite a bit of play on the 5 bolts holding the outer part of the snorkel, only tighten them once you have the system all roughly linked together otherwise you will have a hell of a time trying to insert the inner pipe.

The finished product! I'm quite happy with the way it all turned out :) lots of silicone inside and out on all the joins, haven't siliconed up in the drain hole in the airbox yet as I wanted to do some research on here first. Some people say no but most say yes so I think I'll plug it up tomorrow. All in all, good fun! But be prepared to spend an entire day on this one :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol sve
138 Posts
sounds good but i can't see any of the pictures!

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had some trouble figuring out how to upload pictures. I have added 6 attachments and then linked to them in my post (so I can write a comment on each picture). I am unsure whether or not there will be duplicates. Hope this works!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts