Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This propaganda has been growing for a while now. Elated with their 'success' in the anti-smoking campaign this is the next target in their sights.

I read an article in The Courier-Mail yesterday and it was full of 'statistics.' A pretty heavy dose for one article.

For instance: 'Alcohol is killing 15 people a day and sending another 430 to hospital.'
Also 'Deaths caused by alcohol have increased 62% in a decade.' And: ' Alcohol is a causal or component factor in more than 200 diseases.' And: ' There are causal links between alcohol and eight (named) types of cancer.'

There was more but I was bored by then. They did finish by saying: 'In 2003 alcohol consumption was responsible for 3430 deaths a year. In 2010 it killed 5554 people.'

I know this hysteria will grow, I've seen it before. It will become even more strident and less rational. These wowsers have no common sense.

We have all heard it said: 'Life became too much for him and he turned to drink.'

We don't hear so much about the blokes who turned to drink and life didn't become too much for them.

Like the Royal Navy Rum Ration ... settles them down a treat.

One last thing. When I was a kid, a neighbour hanged himself in his potting shed.
I well remember my Dad saying: ' If he'd gone down to the pub after work and had a few beers, this would never have happened.' My Dad was a wise man.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I was actually thinking about this last night after reading a similar article. How does one protest or lobby against the tax hike on a luxury consumable that can cause adverse side affects? Beer is my cultural identity, can I use that somehow?

In my 7 year plan, I do actually plan on opening a micro-brewery. If I'm gonna be taxed so much it becomes uneconomical, then that's a dream gone. They would have crushed my soul. I might commit suicide and it could contribute to the figures of death and illness caused by taxation stress.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Ban the Drunken pad thread I says. Bad influence on mature blokes if you ask me.

Will set you on the path to HELL....I tells yer.

The sad thing about all this, there will be more and more of these types of agendas put on the table. Once they realise that the 'Australian Culture' has been manipulated, diluted and finally legislated out of the people, what culture is going to take it's place?

It's a worry....

Cheers....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
How will the courier mail produce such quality articles without a few beers?

Seriously, I took the article seriously until I saw where it was published. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Taken from the Medical Journal of Austalia
In 2010, the Australian Government collected close to $8.6 billion from alcohol taxation. All four of the proposed variations to current rates of alcohol excise were shown to save money and more effectively reduce alcohol-related harm compared with the 2010 base case. Abolishing the WET and replacing it with a volumetric tax on wine would increase taxation revenue by $1.3 billion per year, reduce alcohol consumption by 1.3%, save $820 million in health care costs and avert 59 000 DALYs. The alternative scenarios would lead to even higher taxation receipts and greater reductions in alcohol use and harm.
https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2013...alian-alcohol-taxation-structures-consumption

Clearly us drinkers have been easy targets (arguably smokers also). At a cost of $100,000,000 per 0.1% change in drinking rate, that is a VERY high price to pay for little return. Not to mention that the tax is already overpaying any supposable medical burden on society. This also doesn't take into account the lost revenue from a 1.3% reduction in productivity which would mostly be out of the pockets of Australian beverage manufacturing and beverage retail, their suppliers (farmers, etc) and their workers.

There is an equilibrium that needs to be met, not systematic increases. Find the sweet spot or close to it, add CPI each financial year and review in 10 years time.

It's not just direct dollars that need to be counted either. The tourism, economic stimulus, community and jobs that are created due to alcohol is invaluable to society and identity.

I hate riot, but I'm just about ready to.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
AND Beer isn't just made in factories in cities or by [email protected] types in boutiques. To make beer takes ingredients (if you don't know those, you're not a friend of mine (jokes)) and those ingredients come from all over this country. Grain from all over the place, malthouses located in regional places, hopfields in Vic and Tas will all be affected by this.

OH and don't forget the Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) of 29% on wholesale of fruit derived alcohol and mead. That's not included in alcohol excise, wine gets that too and GST as well

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A bottle of VB (750ml) costs $6 in the Drive-Thru. Sales are dropping of course and now more wine is being sold. I don't really think this is healthy.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
AND might I also add, that if they want to reduce alcohol related harm, how about enforcing existing laws and regulations. How about fining venues for supply of alcohol to intoxicated persons, how about fining people that supply to minors, how about fining those found to be intoxicated and disturbing the peace. How about investment in public transport.

When I lived in the Yarra Valley, I can't even count the amount of times I've driven well over the limit and drunk due to inability to get in contact with someone to pick me up, no public transport and no available taxis.

How about they consider the risk of home brewing or destilling (something they can't stop, tax, regulate or outlaw (well can outlaw, but do stuff all to police)) and the risk that creates when people start inadvertently making methanol which often does injure or kill people.

Third man dies after drinking home brew

Post-mortem carred out on teen who died after drinking home-brew - National - NZ Herald News

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,274 Posts
Ban the Drunken pad thread I says. Bad influence on mature blokes if you ask me.

The sad thing about all this, there will be more and more of these types of agendas put on the table. Once they realise that the 'Australian Culture' has been manipulated, diluted and finally legislated out of the people, what culture is going to take it's place?

It's a worry....

Cheers....Lionel.
:eviltong::headwall::eyepoke::loser::nono::idiot::lol::victory: Chit stirrer! :p

Foo

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts

It's a worry....

Cheers....Lionel.
That's easy. We're slowly all becoming Muslim. No sex, no alcohol, no bacon, NO FUN. It's a bit extreme but in the wowsers eyes its a perfect solution.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
Scary stuff, if they ban alcohol how is an ugly fat bugger like me going to get laid?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Scary stuff, if they ban alcohol how is an ugly fat bugger like me going to get laid?
My missus hasn't figured out why I drink yet ;)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
You don't use solariums do you esty?

Over here they're trying to ban them as well as the melanoma rates among solarium users is far too high .

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Its just a pre curser to another tax hike, they have to justify it some how.

How many people die from old age every day, maybe they can tax that some more.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't use solariums PaulnLou. But I wouldn't like to see them banned. If someone is stupid enough to want to cook themselves, then that's their business, not mine.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
The experts are right about drinking and smoking too much.
I died 15 times last weekend. ;)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I wonder why taxes are used to discourage smoking and excess alcohol consumption but not solarium use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts