Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
just ordered my 4" lift, and now its time for tyres. its just a weekend rig, not sure if i should go all round tyres like km2's or mtz's.....or something like simex's or trepadors.
i like the idea of having a full mud tyre coz here in the valley there is never a short supply of mud, but if i want to do a long trip with the mates, running a simex will wear quick, and i would have to run my road tyres, where an all round type of tyre would suit best. I wish i had the moeny for both :D, but that wont happen any time soon :(
looking at a second hand of simex's on ebay, very new but with out the new price tag
any thoughts on either options, or different tyre options??

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Why bother with Mud terrains if its only a weekend truck?

IMWO if your not buying new extreme tyres, then buy new Muds.. the best part of any tyre is when they are new. Thus why so many are sold at 80+%

·
Registered
nissan patrol
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weekends can involve long trips on the black stuff. so wat your saying is go with and all round mud like mtz or something?
thanks

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
weekends can involve long trips on the black stuff. so wat your saying is go with and all round mud like mtz or something?
depends how much black stuff.
its 240+kms from home to the bush.. My JT2 simex's were fine for that.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,263 Posts
Jez, the KM2s on my rig are great on and offroad and as most my driving is weekend offroadish stuff, I have been able to get 50,000km out of them so far. That includes several big trips on the bitchy to NSW, SA and all around Vic. Simex's will get you to Big River, Wood Point, Jamo, etc but they can be pretty sketchy on the spurs when there is rain, frost or snow.

BTW your rig is more than just a weekend rig, I see you driving through YJ just about everyday :D

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Jez, the KM2s on my rig are great on and offroad and as most my driving is weekend offroadish stuff, I have been able to get 50,000km out of them so far. That includes several big trips on the bitchy to NSW, SA and all around Vic. Simex's will get you to Big River, Wood Point, Jamo, etc but they can be pretty sketchy on the spurs when there is rain, frost or snow.

BTW your rig is more than just a weekend rig, I see you driving through YJ just about everyday :D
who me? na aint driven to work for ages in it
im in one of these now

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,263 Posts
Not you mate, Jez

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Why bother with Mud terrains if its only a weekend truck?
x2 Mud terrains are great for a daily driver but not for a weekend truck, simex would be better option.

I am running creepys full time but my car only gets driven on weekends, I would have no issue running these as dailys I have done it in the past.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha....hey hey i use to drive it nearly everyday, but that was coz i just got it :D now im back to the little sh*tbox for work.
thanks sim79, im thinking of going that way, the only thing is the long trips on the black that worries me, dont wanna wear out over 1500 worth of rubber without getting good use out of them.
wats average kms ppl are getting out of simex's?
or even your creepy's sim79???

·
Registered
963 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do .

Ive got a set of Swampers on the GQ, as its just a toy, only goes out when i want to go silly. If i run it around a bit, pushing sprint cars or just to and from places, i have a worn set of STT's for that.

On the GU i have a set of Maxxis Bighorns i bolt on to go away with, used to run BFG all terrains in a 31, however looks silly now with a 6" lift. Just bought a set of cheap dailys for it now.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
jezimp said:
...dont wanna wear out over 1500 worth of rubber without getting good use out of them.
Most good muddys are going to cost you that much if not more.

New Simex's, creepys etc are lots more than that.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,263 Posts
Are you buying second hand tyres on rims? If not your GU has 16" wheels, 15" will fit though.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
tyres wear out. who cares. just drive it and have fun.

changing tyres before you go for a wheel is freaking annoying. I know as I do it. and I only have 5 wheel nuts per wheel. you have 6.

Just buy whatever you want. I'd go BFG MT KM2 if shopping again.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you buying second hand tyres on rims? If not your GU has 16" wheels, 15" will fit though.
you say that like i know nothing about my rig lol yes it currently has 16" rims, i will b buying brand new tyres, with brand new 15" rims, with landcruiser off set to fit.

its come down to the KM2's or MTZ's, from what ive read the mtzs seem to have the upper hand. all our utes at work run the KM2's and they wear pretty poorly, obviously everyone has their own opinion, think i just gotta get a set and see how they go, make my own judgement, dont think i can go too wrong with mtzs

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,263 Posts
you say that like i know nothing about my rig lol yes it currently has 16" rims, i will b buying brand new tyres, with brand new 15" rims, with landcruiser off set to fit.

its come down to the KM2's or MTZ's, from what ive read the mtzs seem to have the upper hand. all our utes at work run the KM2's and they wear pretty poorly, obviously everyone has their own opinion, think i just gotta get a set and see how they go, make my own judgement, dont think i can go too wrong with mtzs
But why 15" rim and LC offset (-22)?

All muddies wear just about the same as they are generally a softer compound. MTZs are good when there brand new off road but I personally don't think better than KM2s (I have driven with both on ZD30 Patrols in 33s). MTZs howl pretty bad when 3/4 worn and they are not even close to KM2s with on road handling and braking. They are more readily available, and I have found slightly less prone to chipping.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tyres are cheaper in 15 then a 16, so y not, y run a 16" rim, y run a 17"???? does it really matter that much

looks like i gotta look into this more then, so confussing :mad:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
i got bfg km1's on my truck and its a weekwnder getting abit down now but hey i got 7 years out of them and that 50km to work and back every day for 7 years, plus the playing i do out bush on weekends.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
i just got a set of 5 35inch km2's,wanted bighorns but cant get them for a while. didnt think the km2's looked very aggressive when i got them home,until i put them on the gq and my dad and i compared them to his new bighorns,much more angry looking tread.they certanly look like they want to hit some mud. from what iv been told the km2's are one of the best,but you pay for it.

Cant wait to test them out

oh.... yeah,they will be everydayers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts