Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to put a new set of tyres on my Patrol. Currently have BFG All Terrain / TAs (LT 275/65R17) but looking to go to a 285/75/16 All terrain. The BFG's have heaps of tread but are horrendous in the wet and I've lost the back end at low speeds which is a little sketchy especially with kids in the car (think that the tyres are 4-5 years old and the rubber has gone hard). Looking for recommendations for a good AT that won't drone on the road but is capable offroad

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,627 Posts
I’m happy with my Toyo ATs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So many to choose from so to narrow it down out of these options which would be the way to go?
Maxxis Razr AT811
Falken AT3W
BFGoodrich ATKO2
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
Bridgestone 697
Toyo A/T

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,667 Posts
So many to choose from so to narrow it down out of these options which would be the way to go?
Maxxis Razr AT811
Falken AT3W
BFGoodrich ATKO2
Bridgestone 697
Toyo A/T
I love my BFG AT KO2's, so much I went with the same again a few months ago, after going through my normal research at each period, got something like 85,000k out of them in all conditions (do a lot of long trips out the back) and their all round grip was the best I've had in 21 years of owning my old girl, sand, gravel, tarmac all fine, mud is a different kettle of fish, I'm not a big mud runner but they cope with what I do.

·
Registered
2004 GU III 4.2TDi ST
5 Posts
Toyo Open Country A/T II's.....good wear and no vices....on my second set now.

·
Registered
nissan
170 Posts
Goodyear Duratracs. Got them on both my Patrols. Excellent tyre. The last set on my 4.8 got 65,000 out of them which included Birdsville Track (twice), up to Isa/Gulf Country/Cape York then back through Strez and northern flinders ranges. Normally get about 90,000 running around.

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
I've been running the Toyo open country R/T for a while and been pretty happy with them. A little more aggressive than a traditional AT but they went great on the last trip we did from Vic to MT dare, across the desert off track then home through the Flinders etc. They are a about as loud as the old Nitto Terra Grappler they replaced. They also seem to handle the mud and rocks pretty well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maxxis RAZR AT 811 have really surprised me as an excellent performing tyre both On and Offroad for under $300 a tyre

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,627 Posts
Check online price against dealers price, often a big difference.

·
Registered
4x4nissan
97 Posts
Honestly mate, I do not believe price makes a difference at all in how many Ks you’ll get from your tyres. The set I am about it replace are Sailun Terramax (all terrains), cheapo Chinese ones. They’ve done 85000ks and still above the wear mark. I’d say atleast 15000ks of this was driving in and out of Alice springs along dirt roads.
I paid $115 per tyre (fitted myself) and have had one puncture that whole time.
No issues in the wet, not noisy at all, they have been great. I believe it all comes down to regular maintenance. I religiously rotate every 10000 and run the pressures at 42ish psi. Air down as required and you’ll get most places.
As stated above, mud is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,045 Posts
Ask 50 different people and you'll get 50 different answers.

I've got M/T's so can't comment too much apart from that my Patrol had Bridgestone 697's on from factory and I didn't have any issues with them.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,667 Posts
Ask 50 different people and you'll get 50 different answers.

I've got M/T's so can't comment too much apart from that my Patrol had Bridgestone 697's on from factory and I didn't have any issues with them.
Lol, Absobloodylutely, like intercoolers, car fridges, etc, etc. Ask the question, get some answers then make-up your own mind.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am another one for the BFG KO2s. I have had a great run out of them, as Gee said, they seem to handle nearly all conditions well. I have had several sets of them over the years, and about 8 years ago the set I had did not like wet bitumen, they were near dangerous. They were the only ones though as later sets grip well, to the point that they actually surprise me sometimes. As Petersen stated, rotating them regularly (like him I do it every 10,000k) seems to help. The reason I stick with them is mainly the lack of punctures I have had over the years, one in 25+ years, is a major attraction to me. It makes me wonder why I carry two spares when I go outback.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also have BFG KO2 on my 2016 Pajero , they have been an excellent robust tyre that i feel confident they wont let me down anywhere i take them , but i did lose the back end last week when i powered on in a right hand turn while wet , (was it the tyres fault as they are at 50% or the brute torque of the Paj) otherwise i like them

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maxxis Razr AT811
Falken AT3W
BFGoodrich ATKO2
Bridgestone 697
Toyo A/T
Sailun Terramax ? not familiar with these
Seriously i wouldn't have a problem with any of the above AT tyres for every day commuting and 4wd duties , its choosing the tread pattern that you think will suit you the best and shopping around for the best price , thats it !
On some club trips we've had new 4wd vehicles attend with factory highway terrains and had no problems , but that could also be luck .

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have had a couple of sets of AT's recentcly.

Toyo AT-2, quite, smooth and reasonable grip off-road, even on wet tracks (not clogging clay). Ride quality, wear and puncture resistance were good.

Cooper ST-Maxx, Good offroad traction even in more sticky conditions, Road grip was fine too. Tyre quality was poor, side wall cracking, wore unevenr, went out of round. It wasnt till I replaced them that I realised how poor they made the car ride too 0 rough!

Yokohoama X-AT - Current tyres, ride smooth, good road handling, slightly loader than the Toyos but quiter than the Coopers. Havent done much offroad yet, mainly dirt roads and snow which was good when aired down. So far very happy with them and cheap too.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
690 Posts
I have had a couple of sets of AT's recentcly.

Toyo AT-2, quite, smooth and reasonable grip off-road, even on wet tracks (not clogging clay). Ride quality, wear and puncture resistance were good.

Cooper ST-Maxx, Good offroad traction even in more sticky conditions, Road grip was fine too. Tyre quality was poor, side wall cracking, wore unevenr, went out of round. It wasnt till I replaced them that I realised how poor they made the car ride too 0 rough!

Yokohoama X-AT - Current tyres, ride smooth, good road handling, slightly loader than the Toyos but quiter than the Coopers. Havent done much offroad yet, mainly dirt roads and snow which was good when aired down. So far very happy with them and cheap too.
X2 for yokohama X-AT but unfortunately they dont do them in 285 75 16s, i went 265s mainly like the thick wall on them compared to the at geolander. So far love them.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,375 Posts
I'll add another vote for the Yoky Geos if you want an AT that will see a lot of bitumen use. If you want a tyre more suitable for mud and are prepared to put up with a higher level of noise then one of the other more open tread patterns may be more suitable for your needs. If you are after a quiet tyre that is outstanding on wet bitumen and great on dirt roads/tracks then you won't go past a set of Geolandars. The icing on the cake is that they are cheap (4 for 3) and have a free road hazard warranty (which I have actually used).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts