Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. this has probably been asked a zillion times so i appologise in advance.
its time for me to get some shoes for my truck. i just cant work out wether to get atz or muddies. im looking at 33/12/16 to put on my gq wheels (and paint them black). Now i drive all sorts of terrain. alot of time is spent in the sand, and i spend a bit of time travelling interstate and around sa, but i also like to get into the mud when its arround. the question is are muddies an overkill for me and will the atz hold up well enough.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
yes

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
nothing like the direct approach truckster ......

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hey all. this has probably been asked a zillion times so i appologise in advance.
its time for me to get some shoes for my truck. i just cant work out wether to get atz or muddies. im looking at 33/12/16 to put on my gq wheels (and paint them black). Now i drive all sorts of terrain. alot of time is spent in the sand, and i spend a bit of time travelling interstate and around sa, but i also like to get into the mud when its arround. the question is are muddies an overkill for me and will the atz hold up well enough.

So your thinking of getting Mickey Thompsons ?
I would have to agree with Truckster and also say Yes that the ATZ's will be more than adequate for the driving you have discribed as they are quite aggressive.
You may also want to consider your rim offset with the larger diameter and width as the possibility of them rubbing when is definate

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Hi Trav, seeing as you are a young fella and will no doubt continue to use your 4by for what it is designed for :cool: just buy muddies mate otherwise you will probably regret it later on. Yes AT's will be ok for most things (especially here is SA), but just one trip out (like we did at Goowla) and muddies really are the only tyre choice. Also, if you are out by yourself and it suddenly rains and everything turns to sh*t, muddies might be the difference between driving out or a long wait.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,655 Posts
The muddies will be better off road for sure, but on road they will not be as good. Obvious I know, but until you have used muddies on the road you may not be prepared for the difference.

I have just switched to at from 33' muddies. Noise was one thing I really noticed. If you are doing a lot of road miles then the AT's would be my choice.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
A mud terrain works better off road than an AT in EVERY terrain not just in mud and I have found every MT that I have used to performs better on road than an AT. The MTs onroad have heaps better grip in wet conditions and don't auqa plain in heavy downfalls. I will never run an again AT as long as I plan to use my 4x4 off road.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I use cooper STT or Micky Thompson MTZ in the desert just for the stronger sidewall. Modern mud tread patterns arent very noisy.
however an AT would be a lot better in the sand.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
A mud terrain works better off road than an AT in EVERY terrain not just in mud and I have found every MT that I have used to performs better on road than an AT. The MTs onroad have heaps better grip in wet conditions and don't auqa plain in heavy downfalls. I will never run an again AT as long as I plan to use my 4x4 off road.
Jeez... There would be a lot of tyre companies argue with that... but not disputing your experiences, just very interesting comments.

Anyhow... Last 2 sets of tyres on my rigs have been Procomp Xterrains and Cooper STT's. Currently running a 4 Rib AT (Kuhmo's) because I pretty much don't do mud anymore esp here in WA.
I have found the Kuhmo's are a quantum leap ahead in Road Holding, Braking and road noise generally. This would apply to pretty much any 4 rib AT I reckon.

Driving over here in the bottom 2/3 of WA is pretty different conditions to elsewhere and given that you will still be playing in the Mud whenever you get the chance I would suggest you might be happier with one of the less aggressive MT's.

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
Khumo KL71 Muddies. You wouldn't know you are driving on muddies until you hit the mud. Fantastic tyre. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
I'll be switching back to A/T's next set of tyres the MTZ's are great off & on rd but they are getting very noisy now they sre down to the last 20,000k's but they were money well spent. Just the noise this *****s me , must be getting old.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers all. quite a few good points raised here. sounds like muddies will be the way to go. as was said, could mean the difference between a long wait if things get tricky. i'll have to hunt down some offset rims first then head out and start looking at tyres. i will probably wait till after my trip now but if something comes up ill jump in. thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
BFG MT KM2 are exceptionally quiet on road ( no tyre droning ) ................exceptionally good offroad.

·
Registered
nissan
175 Posts
Khumo KL71 Muddies. You wouldn't know you are driving on muddies until you hit the mud. Fantastic tyre. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
Cheers.
Yep, X2

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a set of 4rib ATZs and liked them then got a set of KM2s and I will never go back to ATs. Only thing I dont like is they throw alot of rocks on the camper, good luck with ya choice

·
Banned
nissan patrol
592 Posts
i've got the d694lt all terrain and have found them a great tyre here for SA terrain, they have done well out at arkaroola, lovedays and morgan quarry in the slush but the MT's would've been better. you could also try the new MT maxxis 764, this might be my next tyre choice

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/tyres-wheels-38/764-bighorns-55710/

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Ive bought a set of maxxis bighorns a couple of months a go, plan A was to leave them on for a couple of weeks then put the at's back on to finish wearing them out, but plan b has prevailed and they are still on . Its just, at 33 x 12.5 x 15 they just look so B..l.ood .y fantastic and the cars stance is sweeeet and there never a thought that I got the wrong tyre and I live in South aust !

So all the posts online I read I haven't come across an unhappy owner, and at $150.00cheaper that the bignames per tyre I got a couple of spares.

Quite often the cheaper price reflects a marketing stategy for building market share and recognition, so I plan to take advantage of it while it lasts.

Gotta say that I love the tread depth as well, IMHO 80% of the tyres usefulness is in the first 5mm of tread.

Go the Maxxis Bighorns:grin:

Cheers Greg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts