Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Allied's new Bead Lock Specs

23K views 101 replies 35 participants last post by  AndrieK 
#1 ·
Road legal
Double the amount of bead lock bolt holes, so there is a spare set.
Tyre valve central mounted
No void behind bead lock, solid.
New safety bead, square edge and edge where tyre sits will be higher than normal
Sizes 16x8, 16x9, 17x8 or 17x9

#16 ·
Nah I reckon they look cheap and nasty, purely as an aesthetic not a reflection of quality, that's the main reason I got the steel ones instead.

My handbag looks much better with Walkers, but I can't justify 600 odd clams a pop for six rims.

The thing that chits me the most is the gap behind the ring. It is not possible to find a spot to stand at any angle whatsoever and clean them with a pressure cleaner and not get drenched. They strategically aim at you no matter where you are. Also the bit at the bottom fills with water and stays that way, so particularly in a case like mine where the car sits for weeks at a time without being driven, the bottom few bolts are in the drink and the threads get rusty.

If this new design resolves that issue and look half decent I'd be pretty keen...

Reactions: steely
#5 ·
Alloy

No pic as the design isn't final.

But it's based on their Thunder rim, but with bigger holes.

It looks similar to a Mickey thompson Classic Lock

Available in 3-4 months

#6 ·
I call BS on the road legal bit.

More bolt holes? I don't see the need, I can't see it adding to the strength of the wheel, probably the opposite actually,, nutserts negate the need for spare holes.

Other features sound very good.

#9 ·
More bolt holes? I don't see the need, I can't see it adding to the strength of the wheel, probably the opposite actually,, nutserts negate the need for spare holes.
There is no void behind the bead lock ring, it's solid. Like the method buggy beadlocks.

So nutserts won't work.

Techincally all born beadlocks are legal, as the rim hasn't been modified.

#14 ·
I thought beadlocks were illegal no matter what because they rely on the bolts being tightened to keep the tyre on? Obviously not a problem for keen 4wders who pay attention to maintenance but mr " tuff dual-cab tradie with hectic wheels" isn't gonna be checking the bolts with a torque wrench every few months is he?

I'm trying to find proof on Vicroads in VSI #8 but cant get a lot of information.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/vehicle-safety/vehicle-standards-information

#15 ·
Ages ago I read through a national tyre and wheel regulations and it basically said any form of modification to a wheel makes it illegal , no welding or drilling allowed.
So this makes DIY steel beadlocks illegal, so some people think all bead locks are illegal.

#20 ·
I recon I don't care if there road legal or not adds no value to the worth of a beadlocked rim/tyre combination in the bush which is priceless. Agree there a ***** of a thing collecting mud, snow, what ever else behind the ring so any thing to address that is a bonus.

Personal preference as to what they look like if you like the style or not it's the practical part I'm more concerned with. As for getting wet or dirty cleaning them well harden up princess, that to me is what 4WDing is about, like I read another comment about people washing their vehicle on their pretty grass lawn and having shlt sprout, well good thing the bush takes back a bit of owner ship.

#22 ·
I agree with all of that.

Overall I think Patrol owners are becoming a bit precious, worrying about colour schemes and how pretty their wheels are, not as bad as Jeep owners, but definitely heading in that direction

#27 ·
That was one of two the pics that I had originally when I first posted this info. But they asked me not to post up as it wasn't the final design.
One pic was like the above black finished rim the second was a raw alloy finish but the beadlock ring colour is still black

Reactions: Sydo
#30 ·
I was told isn't the finished product, but its the same pic as advertised in their catalogue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.