Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've gotten the option to pick up an alloy bullbar and brush bars for a reasonably cheap price thats in good condition and i'm undecided on whether to buy it or not.

At the moment my patrol only has the original steel bumper and i figure any bullbar is better than no bullbar. I did have plans on making one, but at the moment just dont have the time (nor will have for another 6-12 months)

Are they worth spending the money on, or should I just continue holding off and build one when/if I get a chance? It has provisions for a winch (i'd need to build a cradle for it) its reasonably light, and its right for mounting spotlights on (which i can't really do on the original bumper)

I just keep reading that if they get a knock they tend to fold in and damage body work...

Ush

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an ally one, not a winch bar though. It is light and as nethergate said, it is better than nothing until I too can make a nice new one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
mate if its cheep enuff, go for it, iv only ever had alloys but they always came with the vehicle, that way u have a bar, and if u dont get around to making 1 it doesnt really mater then does it? My alloy bar is winch compatibable, and has a winch in it, u just need a cradle.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Mate, if it's a bargain, I would go for it just based on getting the brush bars with it. I've got an alloy bar and while I would rather have a steel one for strength, I have not had an issue (although I haven't hit any skippys yet...)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
I think the masses have it
Any bar is better than none

Ive got an old steel bullbar here on an MQ and my god,
Im not surprised the front of the chassis hasnt sagged from holding onto it
It weights like a tonne or more,i struggle too lift it

Steel are the go if your gunna hit stuff,but saying that i hit a cow at 100Ks with an alloy bar
Stuffed the bar and a bit of the car,but i walked away

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

I picked it up 2day, and went to fit it and realised I didn't have anything to bolt it to the chassis with!! :rolleyes: the bar has 3 holes that line up with the inside holes on the chassis.
Now is it alright just to use high tensile bolts (spring washers) and free nuts?
Or should I make up a 3mm plate and weld the nuts to it and push it into the chassis?
Sorry for the noob question...

Cheers

Ush

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gettin the truck ready for next weekend i think bolts would be fine with lock nuts and big washers if you can get a spaner to it? Cant wait for next weekend just to get away see you lol marty......

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im selling a steel gq bar 200ono
Now u tell me mate.... LOL woulda been good to know 6 hours ago...

Gettin the truck ready for next weekend i think bolts would be fine with lock nuts and big washers if you can get a spaner to it? Cant wait for next weekend just to get away see you lol marty......
Yeh trying to in the small amount of time i've got (including working on the house while I can too) Got a list as long as my arm to finish if I can... Spanner will b a problem, i've had an idea tho, so should beable to get it.
I'm looking forward to it too, will b nice to get away!

Luke

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've just got bolts spring washers and nuts holding my current bar on as all the bolts broke taking it off, so I had to ditch the plates with the nuts in them. Alloys are fine provided you don't pay much for them, run them till you wreck them then buy another for $50. I only swapped to a steal one because the guy I bought my snorkel off had a TJM highmount winch bar for $150, at that price I couldn't knock it back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts