Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a picture of the factory alloy bar off a GU after being painted black? And is there a specific type of primer that should be used for this alloy (like acid etch?) to give the new paint a good grip?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
I haven't got any pics but just like painting steel the prep work have to be good and the bar has to be clean.

The main thing to know with the etch and this goes for anything thing at all is if you use an Acid etch you have to use an acid based colour over the top and not an epoxy.

Personally I'd use an epoxy etch and and put an epoxy colour over the top.

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Mate I painted my gq alloy bar with just some rust primer paint that I used on my rims. Didn't even take bar off.when I get a scratch I just touch it up.easy.used a wire brush in drill. Then paint and grime degreaser to clean and spray away. Used Matt black

·
Registered
nissan patrol
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.

Mick - as part of the prep, will i need to sand back the bar a bit to get the epoxy primer to hold, or will it be okay?
Green troll - yours looks good, and i agree heaps better than the alloy bar. thats why i reckon mine needs to be done. Did you use the wire brush just to clean the thing or was it to 'rough it up' a bit to hold the primer better?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Thanks Guys.

Mick - as part of the prep, will i need to sand back the bar a bit to get the epoxy primer to hold, or will it be okay?
Green troll - yours looks good, and i agree heaps better than the alloy bar. thats why i reckon mine needs to be done. Did you use the wire brush just to clean the thing or was it to 'rough it up' a bit to hold the primer better?
Yes mate you will but only with a green scotch brite.

What I do is get a green scotch brite and rub it really well with wax & grease remover as well. So your actually cleaning the bar while your rubbing it. Once this is done then give it a really good clean again with wax & grease remover and some clean rags. Make sure you remove all the Wax & grease remover to otherwise it can delaminate.

Make sure you get an epoxy etch primer not just an epoxy primer.

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Mick sounds like he's got the idea. Scothbrite would have been easier.I was just lazy and used a very soft wire brush.did it to clean and roughing up a bit.wouldn't want to put gouges in it.just had a look at the can I used its called
rust-oleum satin black.not sure if its a epoxy or what,but so far so good.came from bunnings for $20 bucks a can.used one can.

Does look way better,but I did mine as spare of the moment thing after a few beers. Certainly not a professional job but did turn out ok.

Good luck with it mate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts