Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,820 Posts
Consider steelies ?
I had my original steelies up until a few years ago, there are so many good strong choices out there in alloy these days I'm not sure why anyone would wish to consider steelies, the benefits outweigh any disadvantages.

Quite a good chance that he has steelies now and maybe looking to upgrade.

But recommendations on rims are like recommendations on exhausts, it is what people have experience with.

·
Registered
Nissan
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I can't find some good alloys I will go with steelies, but was hoping to save some unsprung weight and most alloys are just as strong if not better these days.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,906 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,820 Posts
Genuine Alloys are around same weight as steelies. Alloy nowhere near as strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWM3o2v46KI&t=15s
I haven't weighed them but I know from lifting them during a service that my alloys are considerably lighter than my old steelies and I had them on the Trol for 15-16 years. Every pound taken from unsprung weight is equal to removing 10 pound from sprung weight (there is a ratio for the various components). I've never run genuine alloys so I can't comment on them.

I would question the theory about strength, the only time I would agree is if people were ramming their wheels into gutters and rocks constantly or who run over things that flick up into the rim, but that is manageable and I've had no issues since making the change, I've done the odd trip here and there since ;).

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Regards weight, I think tyres make far more difference than the rims, excluding heavy things like some very solid beadlocks, either steel or alloy are not much more than a few kg difference.

Regards strength, I have had factory steels, Dynamic steels and Kings steels all of which have been flawed by either developing cracks around centre holes and at the valve stem or failed welds and out of balance.

Not had any of the same problems with the alloys. ROH alloys are not as cheap or as fancy looking as some of the new import stuff but they have been reliable.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,944 Posts
I replaced my 17” factory alloys and 275/65R17 (31”) tyres with 16” factory steelies and 285/75R16 (33”) muddies. The 16” combo is 10kg per tyre heavier than the 17’s. 44kg vs 34kg. With 2 spare wheels I intend running, that’s 60kg wasted. I’m thinking about going to 16” alloys... Maybe...

·
Registered
Nissan
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's huge weight difference. I would think alloys would be strong enough, if I was doing really remote stuff steel would probably be a better choice, due to availability but good quality alloys should be plenty strong enough. Anyone used allied? I will have a look at roh too

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I replaced my 17” factory alloys and 275/65R17 (31”) tyres with 16” factory steelies and 285/75R16 (33”) muddies. The 16” combo is 10kg per tyre heavier than the 17’s. 44kg vs 34kg. With 2 spare wheels I intend running, that’s 60kg wasted. I’m thinking about going to 16” alloys... Maybe...
Yes I did the same thing changed from factory 17" light alloys and light duty road tyres that they come with. But a lot of that is the change in the tyres. These were the weights I added to that other thread that Sido linked above.

Rims only,
ROH Impact 16x8" alloy 11.8kg
Steel Dynamic 16x8" 11.9kg
Factory 17" Alloy GU IV 17 x 8" 11.2kg
Factory steel ? Didn't have one without a tyre.

Factory steel GU 16 x 8" with bridgestone 265/75x16 31.8kg

Mickey T ATZ P3 285/75x16" on ROH Impact 16x8" alloy with new tyre is 37.2 kg and half worn 35.4 kg.

That's huge weight difference. I would think alloys would be strong enough, if I was doing really remote stuff steel would probably be a better choice, due to availability but good quality alloys should be plenty strong enough. Anyone used allied? I will have a look at roh too
I do a lot of remote area travel and particularly long distance outback stuff on the ROH alloys. Find a decent set secondhand as they do get a bit scratched after some use. But that is what they are fore, Use rather than Show. Mine still clean up alright.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,655 Posts
I have both 16" factory steels, and 16" factory alloys.
The steels are around 5kg per rim heavier.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Genuine Alloys are around same weight as steelies. Alloy nowhere near as strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWM3o2v46KI&t=15s
Not true at all. Good quality alloys built to standards these days are quite often stronger than most steelies as good quality steelies are getting lesser and lesser. Many good quality aftermarket alloys are stronger than the factory steels on many makes and at least as strong if not stronger than some of the factory alloys.

In this discussion i am of course ignoring many of the blingy mega cheap alloys that have been getting around, mostly made for the Asian built utes.

I would not hesitate running with good quality alloys these days and in fact have never run anything else.

Sure there is the old chestnut argument that a steel can be bashed with a lump of concrete out in the bush but seriously how often as a percentage of wheels and trips over this great wide land has this really been necessary. An old exaggerated wives tail. Most people who get serious seen to run with 2 spares anyway these days.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Maybe something like this

Little less common and high load rating and available in set of 5 for a good price.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,906 Posts
Not true at all. Good quality alloys built to standards these days are quite often stronger than most steelies as good quality steelies are getting lesser and lesser. Many good quality aftermarket alloys are stronger than the factory steels on many makes and at least as strong if not stronger than some of the factory alloys.

In this discussion i am of course ignoring many of the blingy mega cheap alloys that have been getting around, mostly made for the Asian built utes.

I would not hesitate running with good quality alloys these days and in fact have never run anything else.

Sure there is the old chestnut argument that a steel can be bashed with a lump of concrete out in the bush but seriously how often as a percentage of wheels and trips over this great wide land has this really been necessary. An old exaggerated wives tail. Most people who get serious seen to run with 2 spares anyway these days.
Ronny's sledge hammer doesn't lie hey @kimba

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
True that’s a valid argument I hadn’t considered sydo, wtf.

Reactions: Sydo

·
Registered
nissan patrol
670 Posts
Yep, extremely scientific and real world testing there. Well done Ronny...
Now where’s my sledgehammer...?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts