Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have I done wrong??

So alternator was not putting out solid volts anymore so I went and bought a new OEX unit. Bolted it all in and wired it up and when I turned the key to 'ignition' I could hear an audible hum that is not normally there. When I went to crank the engine there was a loud solenoid/relay clicking and the engine didn't turn over. Now when you click the key to ignition the dash warning lights just flicker so I didn't try turning it over again. Batteries both have good volts and I have cleaned up the terminals in case it was just insufficent contact.

Does anyone know what it sounds like I've done or what the hum could be? The earth wires definitely just go to body of alternator yes? That's how they appear to have been on the original. I've touched nothing else but the alternator..they really aren't that complex yet somehow I've stuffed it up!

This is on a 2001 TD42T by the way.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
definatly a fu*ked battery, termianl or connection mate go over them all.
put a volt meter on starting battery and turn key to crank it shouldnt drop below 12v in ur sitiuation if it does its flat of cactus. yeah earth wire to body of alt, it sounds to me like its not an issue near that alt more so the batterys engine earth etc

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast response MikeGQ. You were spot on. One of the battery terminals decided it had a little too much corrosion to want to start again. Car is started and charging well with new alternator! As for the hum I mentioned, I have isolated it to the bulb check relay which i presume has some sticky contacts which are opening and closing rapidly. I know this has somewhat of a relation to the alternator check light along with others but wondering what is wrong with it and what has caused it. If it's making this noise does it need to be replaced? Is it doing its job still?

Thanks,
John.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts