Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
Y62
2,786 Posts
The only thing that was out of the ordinary was it was a very hot day down here (38c). It may be all in my head but the car sounds quieter and has more grunt with the new one... but then again that could be in my head
From what you have posted I don't think there is any issue with your vehicle's wiring that could be causing these alternators to fail. Unless you are trying to run a big inverter off the alternator. But it would be irresponsible of me to tell you not to worry about getting it checked out.

More than likely an internal fault with the alternator that caused a phase to drop out. This will cause a growling type noise from the alternator, temperature of the alternator to increase and drain more H/P from the engine. From here it's only a matter of time until it self destructs.

· Registered
2009 GU
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Unfortunately I've already dropped it back for warranty and picked up a new one so can't dismantle the old one. I've done a lot of googling since and it seems to agree with you here @geeyoutoo as being an internal fault rather than an overloading issue as I don't run anything off the batteries when I'm driving around town, just a phone charger.

Really appreciate everyone's help as always :)

Cheers,
Brad

· Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
573 Posts
What model alternator? How close is your AC piping.

This might be something to check - My car has a different engine, but I found an aftermarket alternator had a second terminal close to the AC alloy piping - about a 2mm gap between them. This was blowing my 100 amp main bus fuse. Last time I had it out I cut down the extra terminal stud to increase the gap to the AC piping.

• Helpful
Reactions: dkril
21 - 24 of 24 Posts