Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been tossing around an idea about putting in an isolator to switch alternator off for short periods, like climbing steep hills to minimise load on engine, and put some extra power back to the wheels.
I normally switch aircon off in these situations and it does make a diference, even though it's small, but it is noticable, and every bit counts.
I know the alternator works according to load and if you have the spoties on it pulls an extra 15-20 amps, which probably works out to about 1kw after taking into account conversion efficiency, so I'm wondering what the normal daytime operating load would be if anyone has this information?
Also any ideas how this may be done and is there any danger of triggering a fault code etc?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
serious?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
probably would save bugger all. also the problem is even if off electrically it still has drag on the motor. you would have to put a clutched pulley on it to stop the engine turning it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
probably would save bugger all. also the problem is even if off electrically it still has drag on the motor. you would have to put a clutched pulley on it to stop the engine turning it.
X2. While the engine is running it is spinning the alternator and generating current anyway. The only way to stop this would be with a clutch. I seriously doubt there would be any noticeable gain.

·
Premium Member
1975 G60, 1989 GQ, 2013 GU
1,408 Posts
I wouldn't even do it for my 160amp alternator for the few watts (engine power) you'll be saving

TRev

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
there is only any real load on the motor as far as the alt is concerned when it is under load, as you say when pulling current from it for spoties, or when the battery is low on charge and a larger amount of current is flowing. I personally wouldn't bother, best off taking some weight out of the bus, or finding some more horsepower, that's always fun. In fact I might go and look for some now Iv'e had a few grogs.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies,
Been wondering about this for a while, so it has been done (drag racers), but the difference is minimal in the scheme of things.
A while back I was adjusting the spoties, with the engine idling and every time I put them on I noticed the engine increased revs significantly, so that's when I began to wonder how much power was going to the alternator.
I'm not after big power gains, just looking at ways to take the edge off those peak load times, like hill climbs.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Power = Voltage x current

So at max amps you would maybe loose 1.4kw from the engine, that is not even enough felt at the wheels to pull a geasy spoon from an incontinent dogs arse............

In all honesty it wouldnt be worth doing coz you would fry batteries by bringing their charge down too often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts