Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a GU 2.8 and the alt bearings have **** themselves after 18months ago I had it rebuilt by a local auto elec :S

So I am trying to get the damn pulley nut off.

Any tips or tricks besides jamming against the housing and stuffing things?

I have had the pulley in a vice with a piss weak rattle gun on it, and penetrene oil on the visible thread. No luck.

Biggest issue is gripping the fu*king pulley!!!!

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
139 Posts
could try socket bar & a good crack
with hammer, might take a couple of
tries but normally works:doh:

Daryl

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,302 Posts
Split the alternator into 2 ,then with the use of some soft jaws put the bottom half of the rotor in the vice (with the pulley and nut facing upwards).

You should be able to apply more force to undo the nut now.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
if its a clutch type puilley it doesnt matter if u had the biggest rattle gun in the world u wont get it off as the clutch will slip like its designed then take it to a sparky and they SHOULD have the tool to remove it :)

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, GU 2.8's have a bog stock mitsubishi alternator. Nothing fancy other than the dual belt pulley.

I got it off, I found the high volume airline which gave the rattle gun more cohunas! I sat on it for about 10minutes then thought I might give the breaker bar another shot and it just cracked nicely :)

The pulley nut is a standard nut (anti-clockwise to undo - which I did know from the start by looking at the shape of the thread where the nut and shaft meet :p )

So I got it apart to discover the rear bearing had disintegrated and markings were minimal :S But low and behold the side seal had fallen off at the back and I got the numbers. After I unsoldered the regulator and removed it...

Rear Bearing: B8-85D

Front Bearing: 6303 2RS (pretty standard looking lol)

But nobody thats open at 5pm on a Saturday has the B8-85D..........f*ck!!

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Split the alternator into 2 ,then with the use of some soft jaws put the bottom half of the rotor in the vice (with the pulley and nut facing upwards).

You should be able to apply more force to undo the nut now.
I have my doubts about this, it makes me whince lol The torque required to undo a nut means you usually need a bigger anchor point. And soft jaws nearly always slip when high torque is applied to small parts. Which is good, cos you dont break anything, but its also telling your doing it wrong :lol:

YMMV

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,302 Posts
I have my doubts about this, it makes me whince lol The torque required to undo a nut means you usually need a bigger anchor point. And soft jaws nearly always slip when high torque is applied to small parts. Which is good, cos you dont break anything, but its also telling your doing it wrong :lol:

YMMV
It's ok, I have done plenty like that before.

It does depend on the size and quality of your vice though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts