Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some options to get a 3rd deep cycle battery going to supply my fridge and gear while camping.

Instead of going with a battery management system, I'm going to go with a 2nd alternator underneath the injection pump like this fellow did :

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss.../dual-alternators-5342/index2.html#post579765

For the original alternator, has anyone of you swapped it out for a regular alternator and used an electric vacuum pump ?

Looking to eliminate any electrical problems down the road with the tiny vacuum alternator.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
You can get 12V or 24V vacuum pumps as well as 24V high output alternators. I seacrhed for them some years ago just to see what my options are in case there are problems with the vacuum pump. You could also probably fit a Toyota 2H 24V alternator and vacuum pump as well. Our 24V alternators are not too expensive to get rebuilt locally. I believe there are also rebuild kits for the vacuum pumps on Fleabay at times. It would not surprise me to find out that a good auto/commercial e;lectric shop could also get the parts to rebuild the vacuum pumps. I should check into that, as we are suppose to have two very good ones out here in Abby.

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can look into John, I would appreciate it.

Looking at all options out there.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
If you can look into John, I would appreciate it.

Looking at all options out there.
Let me know what you want to know specifically and I will ask.

·
Registered
nissan safari
70 Posts
you can use a Nissan terrano alt in exactly the same spot your old safari one was giving you 12V 70A for the spare & a vac pump on the back then get a big truck alt like i did & fit it above the in you had just fitted mines 24v 90A

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
you can use a Nissan terrano alt in exactly the same spot your old safari one was giving you 12V 70A for the spare & a vac pump on the back then get a big truck alt like i did & fit it above the in you had just fitted mines 24v 90A
Problem here is the Terranos are about as rare as the Safaris. However, there are a number other 12V alternators available from US suppliers which have the vacuum pump on the back.

·
Registered
nissan safari
70 Posts
you can also use 12V patrols Nissan atlas, mistral etc most 12V Nissan
the bonus is these fit in the normal safari bracket & runs standard vacum lines etc
here in NZ terranos are common so parts are easily available if you break down in the middle of no where but you can also fit a Isuzu on the same bracket with the same alt shape & some Toyotas if there easier to find?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts