Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought one of those aluminum radiators from evilbay? They claim a 30% better cooling efficiency than the standard one. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
hey mate, my tradie wha77 used have a gq patrol with a 6inch lift and he was having problems with his thing getting a bit hot so yeh he got a 50mm alluminum radiator off ebay and it solved his problem it hes temp guagh never went over half and he used to abuse it a bit, only problem is that his running temperature reduced to about a quater of the guage in summer and never got there in winter.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
i got the biggest 1 on ebay 3 core for the gq, did a great job once engine warmed up temp was constant no matter what i did towing, hills in the bush, was all good untill both ends of the core were it meets the end tanks started leaking from the top down they all leaked, looking more closely at the materials they are cheap and weak could bend the alloy easy as with my fingures, looked the goods nice welds material quality was not great.....can pm you the same one to avoid. good quality alloy radiator is worth it.:)

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
I looked into it but they are throw away items....Good luck getting home if you happen to damage it out bush. Atleast copper/brass radiators can be patched up easily enough to get you out of an emergency!!!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Depending how low restrictive your old radiator was/is
A new one will be better
If its for a semi bog stock patrol replace the factory alloy jobie and go for a copper core /steel tank job
They are even cheaper than the alloy replacement radiators
There are too many conflicting reports regarding some of the top shelf rads out there

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
I run a PWR alloy unit in my GQ, nice fitment and does the job.

·
Registered
nissan
1,087 Posts
I have one of the Adrad copper/brass units (gu td42t) and it has started leaking around the bottom mounting point.

The unit itself is not very old and in good condition but the mounting point on the bottom has sunken in and has hairline cracks around the circular mounting point.(pics in next post).

I am doing a trip across the bottom of Australia at christmas time and was wondering if anyone in the know would trust this unit if it was repaired?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Yeah mate if the core is good they can just replace the tank for you at any rad shop, will be fine.

Reactions: KROOZA

·
Registered
nissan
1,087 Posts
Cheers Leethal.

I'll head down to natrad after work and see what they can do.

Any idea what a fair price for a new end tank would be?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
This is a guess so don't take it as gospel... I would guess a tank would be about $75 ish? Labour to remove, rod out the core (may as well while tank is off), fit new tank and pressure test, um, maybe $100??

I'd be happy with that give or take I think?

Reactions: KROOZA

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Many, many years ago when i was an apprentice panelbeater we used to strip the header tanks off and rod the cores, acid wash the tanks and resolder back on.
Wouldnt want to try it on an aluminium radiator.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Lucky Krooza doesn't have an ally rad then :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'd get a good copper one over ally.
Copper cools better, ally is cheaper, which is why they are more popular.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
1,087 Posts
I thought aluminium cools better and that brass/copper was only favoured due to the fact that it can be repaired more easily in the bush and because it's less brittle?

Anyways...

I went down to Natrad yesterday and the bloke actually advised against buying their brass/copper units, supposedly he had seen a higher failure rate from these than the plastic tanked ally units (which were less than half the price!).

I think I will just buy a new plastic tanked ally unit and chuck the savings towards one of the many other mods that I plan on doing before my chrissie trip.

Cheers for the help lads.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
buy adrad or are not cheap $1000 plus but make a good quality reliable product.
What? Over 1k bucks for a radiator? Is it worth spending that much just for a radiator?
Are we talking about turbo charged diesel vehicles?

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
I have one of the Adrad copper/brass units (gu td42t) and it has started leaking around the bottom mounting point.

The unit itself is not very old and in good condition but the mounting point on the bottom has sunken in and has hairline cracks around the circular mounting point.(pics in next post).

I am doing a trip across the bottom of Australia at christmas time and was wondering if anyone in the know would trust this unit if it was repaired?
I don't trust any radiator on any outback trips. I carry repair stuff to patch it up from outside.
High temperature epoxy sticks, butane soldering torch, LPG torch, solder, flux, metho, etc etc. They are all cheap and lightweight to carry in the back of the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts