Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just went out after being a fisho for 30 odd years and bought my 1st Alvey.

its not that I haven't used alveys before, i have, but the line twist issues have put me off buying one.

yes Ive tried 2 swivels about 60cm apart, still got line twist.

Any tips on what im doing wrong? I plan on using a 13'6 rod with 9 kilo line as specified on the reel.

Can braid be used on an alvey?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Hey mate, love my Alvey, You can run braid but might be best off wearing a glove or duct tape wrapped on your finger as it has the tendency to slice skin. I cant really think why you would be getting the line twist if your running a swivel on top of the rig it should be fine, as long as its not too big of a swivel. what sort of line are you running on it
edit- just reread it and noticed you weren't talking about line twist with your current rig, maybe choose a stiffer style line to help with the twist
edit again, found some info on swivel selection Alvey Reels Australia. Alvey Fishing Reels. Australian made center pin side cast fishing reels. 100% Australian made fishing tackle since 1920.

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Got to love the simplicity and the resistance to salt. But with the gearing and torque, I would hate to go one on one with a yellowtail king or a southern bluefin :doh:

If you're having issues with mono, then I would have thought briad will give you endless drama. Sometimes old line gets a memory and tends to bind up also, especially if left in sunlight.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
I use a couple of Alveys regularly off the beach, and the best tip I've found for keeping line twist to a minimum is to use 'GOOD QUALITY SWIVELS' not the ones you can get from the $2 shop. Spend a couple of extra dollars on decent Box or Crane swivels and you shouldn't have any problems.... just remember dont use too big a swivel or the line will have a hard time trying to turn it and then twists will become a problem :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think I have used an egg beater style thing once. How on earth do you feel the fish with one of those things why you are winding in? The kids and the wife use the egg beater things and they are really an effort to get casting distance on.

I have 5 alveys and all but one was passed down through the generations. The wood reels really looks a treat all stained and varnished, the glass ones put a little bit more heat into your hand when the fish run though. Avoid the cheap ones with the plastic side cast knobs.. they wear out in a year or two.

As for line twist avoid the braid (it's crap after a year in sunlight anyway) and use decent swivels.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the new alvey for a flick yesterday, i can safely say in terms of beach fishing, yeah im converted. The casting is amazing and the fact i can drop it in the sand to rig up is absolutely tops. I wash it off in the salt and it just keeps soldiering on.

Fantastic product

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.