Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm becoming Australian: I love Patrols and have recently bought a new Lithgow Arms rimfire. Nailed four foxes in one night a few weeks ago. Been shooting since I was a kid, and since I was a kid I wanted a Patrol. My life is now complete!

Sent from my Patrol using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,449 Posts
Hit the reply button in Tess Tickle's post and the pic pops up in your quote. It's one of those new "features" we didn't ask for with the new forum layout... 🤔
The reason I asked, is that on the main page when you hover over the thread you can see there is a photo attached. Weird!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I think I'm becoming Australian: I love Patrols and have recently bought a new Lithgow Arms rimfire. Nailed four foxes in one night a few weeks ago. Been shooting since I was a kid, and since I was a kid I wanted a Patrol. My life is now complete!

Ah, there it is. Nice work mate. How do you like the Lithgow?? Some of the centrefire models have been subject to recalls for barrel issues - very embrassing for them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hit the reply button in Tess Tickle's post and the pic pops up in your quote. It's one of those new "features" we didn't ask for with the new forum layout... 🤔
Yeah just checked on the PC and it's weird you can't see it in the OP. Works fine on Tapatalk when I look on my mobile... Hopefully admin will sort it out.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, there it is. Nice work mate. How do you like the Lithgow?? Some of the centrefire models have been subject to recalls for barrel issues - very embrassing for them.
Overall I love it. Machining and finish are top notch. I thought the trigger was crap straight out of the box (very notchy and not as good as my cheaper CZ452). Since lapped the sear and put a lighter spring in it and it's much better, but still not as good as my custom CZ52. The only problem I am aware of with the LA101 is the magazine did not feed properly on early models, but that was sorted out a while ago and mine has never had a problem (I run 10 shot aftermarket mags now also).
My only worry with it now is putting 17HMR's in it instead of 22WMR's!

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
The CZ is it a sporter or heavy barrel? I have a Savage .17HMR shoots about a 10C coin and then fliers every 5th or 6th shot at 100Y. I’m getting a CZ 455 varmint .17HMR next week.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CZ is it a sporter or heavy barrel? I have a Savage .17HMR shoots about a 10C coin and then fliers every 5th or 6th shot at 100Y. I’m getting a CZ 455 varmint .17HMR next week.
Mine is 16" medium barrel (slightly thicker than longer sportster one I think). When I zeroed mine with Hornady 17GR Vmax I got 10mm 5 **** groups at 100 yards. Very happy with it. 22WMR ammo is harder to come by, and I am restricted to Hornady 30GR Vmax which shoots around 25mm at 100 yards. Also seems quite inconsistent (I have had a couple of rounds sound like they did not have a full charge of powder and were way off aim point, and more than a few that hang fired - that's all in less than about 1500 rounds). I'm going to try some other loads soon because I'm sure the rifle is better than the ammo. Weird though, you would assume the same company would produce similar quality ammo in both calibres...

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Yeah .22 ammo is hard to match to a rifle, a lot of testing. I always shoot 20 rounds through a clean barrel before looking for accuracy with lead waxed .22. Each manufacturer uses different wax, and when you swap ammo over accuracy wanes. I’m lucky I have three Winchester rounds I can use in my CZ 452 .22LR without touching the scope settings. Win lead subsonic hollows shoot one bar lower on my Vortex than the Win 555’s copper guilded hollows which shoot at the crosshairs on 9x. I have a bucket of Win Expert lead hollows (no longer available) shoots same zero as the Win 555’s. So the Vortex stays on 9x all the time lol
Good to hear about the CZ accuracy, that’s the reason I’ve ordered it to replace the rubbish Savage.
Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I just recently bought a .17 myself. It is old though, and a project to bring it back to better than new condition when time is available.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
It is a Tikka M55 in .17 Rem. New calibre to me, so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the .222 Rem, which my Dad has. Not sure when it will be done, that will depend on other stuff that needs doing, so It may be a while. No rush though. First job is cleaning 30 years worth of copper and carbon out of the barrel, which I have started.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Might pay to get the throat checked out before you spend too much effort cleaning, if it’s had a fair bit of use with slower powders it might be burnt out. .17REM should shoot mid 3K fps which isn’t too fast, getting up to 4K fps will burn out barrel in a couple of thousand rounds.
I just ordered a barrel for my 7RM 2500 rounds and the throat is shot out. That shoots 3250 fps using slow powder ADI2217

·
Registered
nissan patrol
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might pay to get the throat checked out before you spend too much effort cleaning, if it’s had a fair bit of use with slower powders it might be burnt out. .17REM should shoot mid 3K fps which isn’t too fast, getting up to 4K fps will burn out barrel in a couple of thousand rounds.
I just ordered a barrel for my 7RM 2500 rounds and the throat is shot out. That shoots 3250 fps using slow powder ADI2217
My old Remington 700 in 220 Swift suffered from throat erosion. Had to get the chamber recut and trimmed...

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Hmmm...…. I dunno how you can assess the condition of any barrel when it is not clean. I figure on getting it clean, and then go from there. In this case, being one of the most notorious barrel foulers ever made, I was prepared for this. It is exceptionally well fouled though. LOL I have not seen one this bad myself.

Previous owner did some test groups with a few different loads, and one of them was 3 shots into about 3/4 MOA. I will see how progress goes with the project. I may do some testing of it after cleaning, before doing any stock resto work bedding etc. See how things go.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
A gun shop with a manufacturers license can use a bore scope camera to check the throat.
The .17REM will shoot nice and flat and fast, nothing like a .222 lol. If you do end up rebarrel pay close attention to the twist rate you order. You’ll need to assign a twist rate to the weigh bullets you prefer to use. Not sure about the .17REM but for example there’s seven twist rates for .223, and you can only shoot marginally either side of the optimum twist. The same goes for your current barrel, shoot the projectile weights that match the twist rate of the rifle for best accuracy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts