Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday fellas , where in the market for a dual cab ute and the missus wants an Amarok . Found one (highline) for $28k on carsales . Its in another state and has 150000km on it . After thoughts /advice . We are just about to have our first child so its a big $ investment . Cheers in advance . Adam

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,318 Posts
No dont do it, 150k is that right? You can buy a brand new D22 nissan navara POS for that money. My neighbour works for a company that has five amoroks, and like all modern crd they have their problems.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it has 150 000kms on it , they are $48k brand new and most are selling for above $30k still . My missus took a d22 around aus and there is no way in hell she will get another .

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Know people who have Amaroks in the uk.

Both single and twin turbo.

Lots of get up and go in the later, and great comfort, trim level, ride and economy in both.

I know I should wash my mouth out with soap, but looking forward to retirement and am starting to look at the Amorok 4motions as I like them and when I have driven them I thought there very nice.

I am also having a look the new 2015 touerag. Seems to be getting good reviews and is crapping over the previous models.

I like Vdubs.

I would buy one any day over a nissan no-guts-vara today (may all change by the time I do retire) and it will mainly be for the wife to drive so the comfort is the big deal for the ladies.

But I will still have a patrol as well. Most likely a dedicated fishing and camping boat towing trayback set up to run the WA coast, hopefully with a duramax in it...

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I test drove one last year with 6 speed manual.

I loved it.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i have had 3 patrols and as soon as i sell my ss ute i will be getting another , love em ,cant beat them . we test drove in one day (all new) colorado ranger dmax hilux and amarok . its a luxury dual cab thats for sure and roomy . its not going to be anything but mums shopping trolley and that nice clean fourby to go away in . The dirty tuff work rig will be the patrol

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
noice, but no good for me lol.

The partol will be the camper, the tow hitch will have a decent size boat hangin off it. :D

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Can't recommend them. We took one away for weekend about 2 years ago. Brand new and the motor let go coming up the western side of the blue mountains on the way home. Freak incident maybe.. The engine was sent oversea for analysis.

And my wife drove a new golf for 2 years. It was lovely to drive but fell apart. But lots of electrical gremlins fixed under warranty and the faulty DSG gearbox. The cloth interior didn't wear well. VW not the quality they used to be.

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Need to watch golfs, and maybe other Vdubs in Oz.

You get a golf made in RSA and it will be chit. Get a German one and it will be good.

Really bad reviews come from the RSA jobbies.

German made are the more high end models.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,722 Posts

You get a golf made in RSA and it will be chit. Get a German one and it will be good.

Yep. A mates son is a VW mechanic (did his apprenticeship with them). He says exactly that ^.

Looks like VW have nailed planned obsolescence. Great while new-ish, but don't hang on to them too long....

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Second that about Golf's. One of my staff had a Golf, one day the motor just stopped with a horrible grind. After pulldown they found that piston number two was missing.....but there was a lovely pile of metal in the sump! The car had 47,000km, full service history.

That being said, VW put in a new motor free of charge.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So basically the general consensus is low km and under warranty ??? This would then put this vehicle out of our price range .

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Over here the rental mob Budget have literally hundreds of hiluxes on their mine fleet, and a load of pradoes, with a handful of 200s, VDJs, a few navaras (D40) and coloradoes (the last two back when hiluxes were scarce).

They bought one Amarok to see how it went, and that was it. They said no more. Apparently it 'fell apart' when used day in day out on corrugated gravel, I had a chat to the fleet manager a year or so back out of interest, he said lots of electrical gremlins, interior trim falling apart, brakes issues, transmission faults etc etc.
Now this was just one car, so take it with a grain of salt, but they wouldn't look at them again.

I think they look nice but never driven one apart from in a car park.

They are very wide. Only ute apart from a GU that needs a 2 metre wide tray instead of 1860!

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
I have a mate with one and he loves it, apart from that I have no other reviews so I am not much good.

Bearing in mind it's going to be a shopping trolley does it need to be as tough as nails, I love my Colorado and think the driving position is about the best I tried but know if it went out into some of the mines I have been to with the knuckle draggers that drive them, it too would fall apart.

For my two pence worth if you like it buy it, don't be swayed by others experiences or opinions although very valid and mostly true they will not be relevant to you.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
I see more Amaroks on tilt trays than any other in the segment. I've driven both the auto and manual and they're really different to drive. I don't like them.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts

Mk5 Golfs apart from 3dr GTI and all R32 were made in South Africa.
Mk6 and Mk7 Golf for Australian market come from Germany.

The quality is no different. They are both pretty average for durability. But they are still nice cars.

Amarok primary production is in Argentina but I believe some will come from Hannover.

I don't think it matters where a car is from. VW are big into complete knock down assembly, most of the same components in a German made car will be found in a South African made or Spanish made car. Where those components come from can be from all over the world, wherever their manufacturing facilities are (increasingly now, China).

Looks like VW have nailed planned obsolescence. Great while new-ish, but don't hang on to them too long....
I agree with this. Really nice cars for the honeymoon (warranty) period and then get ready to start paying.

I have no interest in buying a 3rd VW at this stage. I'd rather chance it with a Land Rover.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Mk5 Golfs apart from 3dr GTI and all R32 were made in South Africa.
Mk6 and Mk7 Golf for Australian market come from Germany.

The quality is no different. They are both pretty average for durability. But they are still nice cars.

Amarok primary production is in Argentina but I believe some will come from Hannover.

I don't think it matters where a car is from. VW are big into complete knock down assembly, most of the same components in a German made car will be found in a South African made or Spanish made car. Where those components come from can be from all over the world, wherever their manufacturing facilities are (increasingly now, China).

I agree with this. Really nice cars for the honeymoon (warranty) period and then get ready to start paying.

I have no interest in buying a 3rd VW at this stage. I'd rather chance it with a Land Rover.
I'd stick with the bike mate.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Ive got a few mining mates where I am (hunter valley) and they all say that the Amarok is certainly a tidy and typical VW product but the engines are rubbish, and constantly getting looked at for oil usage and heat issues. (wow?)

If its going to be used as a shopping trolley and its done 150k, I guess its proven it wasnt built on a friday and its got some life.

Personally though, 2 liters is not much engine capacity for what it has to do as a ute, for longevity. IMHO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts