Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there again all after lifting my truck i have inherited a front tail shaft vibration.The vibration only occurs when my hubs are engaged and i back of the accelerator from about 3rd gear and up around 80km.There is no grinding when my foot is down but as soon as i back of it grinds and vibrates or when i engage the clutch.I have tried the following suggestions with no luck any other help would be appreciated cheers

removed front tail shaft (grinding gone )
tried 12mm gear box spacers (still grinds)
rebuilt tail shaft new unis new grease (still grinds)
swapped front tail shaft (still grinds)
spaced gear box up 10mm (still grinds)
Aligned front pan hard so tail shaft and diff center are straight (still Grinds)

I'm running out of ideas guys

Heres my truck nearly finished

Attachments

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Isolate the front diff by removing the tail shaft, lock the hubs and drive around with hubs locked in on bitumen. Only do this if you don't have an auto locker, if you have an open diff if it's okay. For an auto locker you will have to do the tests on gravel. This will test your diff mechanism unloaded. If the noise persists the problem is in the diff.

Then do the opposite, replace the tail shaft unlock the hubs drive around in four-wheel-drive on bitumen. If you have an auto locker this won't be affected driving on bitumen because the hubs are unlocked. This will test your pinion drive semi-loaded. If the noise persists the problem is in the pinion.

This will give you an indication if there is a problem with the pinon bearing or diff assembly.

Cheers

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
By what method have you corrected caster if you have? It could be related to pinion angle to xfer output angle issues perhaps?

Great paint colour btw :)

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
When you grease the spine up is the noise quieter?

Reactions: allaussieadventures

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys thanks for the reply s. Boundary i have removed front shaft and taken for a drive with hubs locked in no vibration or noise it is the front tail-shaft for sure.Leethal i have 6" drop boxes installed to correct the caster angle.The radius arms are still not 100% flat level but pretty close.The front drive shaft isn't really on any real wacked out angle.The thing i dont understand is when i bought it it had 4" coils with 50mm spacer no drop boxes and had no vibrations at all with mostly pretty standard gear all round ?? Now it sits pretty much same height just with 6" coils and it vibrates,and i have front cross member notched plenty of clearance. Hey Sim when i changed front shaft to another 1 i had, i pumped it full of grease every were and it still makes the same growling noise.Thanks for your help guys.Simmo i was thinking i could use radius arm spacers but have heard they don't rotate the front diff just space it forward at the same angle, so no win there so maybe ill have to save for longer arms.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
It has to be you're front unis are out of phase then.
You shouldn't be having this problem.
I can't recall, did you end up using some gearbox spacers aswell as the drop boxes to lower the crossmember 20mm?

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Just thinking, when you purchased the truck it had 4" springs and 2" spacers with no castor correction and it didn't growl?
Maybe the previous owner has rolled the front axle to suit the 6" of lift, in which case you wouldn't need drop boxes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes that's right Steel the original setup didnt growl or vibrate it handled like a pig but. It drives nice now feels good except that bloody noise

1 - 11 of 11 Posts