Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got and email from my back 2 back (rig relief), who is coming out of Gibraltar. He was about to board his flight when tow customs guys intercepted him at the gate. They said that an xray of checked luggage show a suspicious substance in his bag and he was led away to where he was ordered to open his luggage.

The suspicious substance turnout out to be his jar of marmite, never the less, he was then full body searched and the jar confiscated. As a consequence he missed his flight, will arrive late in Indo and I work over an extra day. He said the jar was sealed and never opened. Where does this madness end, am I going to end up in handcuffs at Perth international because of my vegemite??

It’s getting to be so much BS going through airports, as a seasoned traveler I am stripped down to the bare essentials on carry on, and no metal or liquids on my person or rucksack so not to get held up at boarder protection, but seriously, marmite in checked luggage is now prohibited. Some will say, better safe than sorry, but come on, fair toss of the caber…

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
This is the price we pay for fanaticism, I too do a lot of international travel and like you take the basics on the plane, much easier. Had an Italian colleague in the US who was going on home leave, the day before he went target shooting and wore the same jacket to the airport, the sniffer picked him up he was hauled off and questioned and similarly missed his flight.

And people like that A**** in the States that burnt the Koran don't help the situation either.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
terrorists must piss themselves laughin at the "fear" in the world while sittin at home watching re-runs of the brady bunch not even needing to do anything.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I've been stopped on domestic flights, been sniffed and the red light showed up on the screen 'explosives'. I did have a fair bit of petrol on my clothes, but there'd been no time to change between leaving the site and arriving at the AP for checkin. Was a bit of a worry...

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
I got the big once over leaving San Francisco airport to Washington Dulles last May. Big night, all night on the p*ss and sweating it out in the steamy air in San Francisco. Asked why I was singled out, it was because I was pale as a ghost and sweating like a pig and dark saggy eyes. FFS, I was stilled p*ssed for christ sake! Didn't miss my flight though.
Al

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Went through Sydney Airport. Had two replica cap guns in my bag (revolvers)...Customs almost shat themselves when they X-Rayed the bag. All turned out OK though. They sealed them in a separate bag and I got them when I landed.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Went through Sydney Airport. Had two replica cap guns in my bag (revolvers)...Customs almost shat themselves when they X-Rayed the bag. All turned out OK though. They sealed them in a separate bag and I got them when I landed.
ROFL... your lucky they didn't shove 'em where their fingers just came from... :p

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Thats what real terrorism is. Putting the fear into people 24/7 and causing them to do things differently and interfere with their lifestyle and enjoyment thereof.
As far as the war on terror goes, I think I know who's winning. :rolleyes:
Disagree, it's not putting the fear into us, the thing is the precautions are just that, precautions, if we stop doing what we would normally do ie, Travel, then they are winning, while ever we continue to live our lives as we wish, they lose........ and it pisssss's them off.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
when was this 1982?

·
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disagree, it's not putting the fear into us, the thing is the precautions are just that, precautions, if we stop doing what we would normally do ie, Travel, then they are winning, while ever we continue to live our lives as we wish, they lose........ and it pisssss's them off.
Fair enough Gee, but what does this BS stop, everyone has to fly in there undies and your not allowed to take and luggage with your, or bring back presents for the kids...... The precautions don't get reduced, they multiply, see if you say the same thing in another couple of years when they bust you for that lethal pen you have in your top pocket. So we are being stopped from doing what we normally do, one little bit at a time....

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
I have had 2 issues at Airports

First one was entirely my fault had my PC build kit in my carry on luggage IE Cables wire stripper cripmers util knife and assorted sockets and stuff they were not impressed allowed me to check it in as normal luggage and off to Brisbane.

The second one was a little different bought a server from Dell had it delivered to Adelaide were I did the OS Build and some other stuff put it back into it's box and took it to the Airport the next day, so it and me can fly to Sydney were I building up a new Call Ctr. Get to the Airport I check in but as the box was large I had to check it in at a different place. She the attendent procedes to do the explosives swab test on the box and it fails. Once twice third and Forth times (apparently they are suppose to open the box after 3 times) passed the fifth time and she kicked the box through the gate and said see ya later.

Always thought that was odd.

Cheers

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
there was a talk back show on a while back about stuff they were taking off people... some of it was beyond stupid, but i reckon the customs/inspectors take it all home and ebay it...

the ex-mistake struck it with a toy the outlaws bought for my kids when they were flying back from ****ville usa.. No 'putting it in a plastic bag', everything got thrown in a bin - not even allowed back to stick her arm out of the customs area to give it to the outlaws, nor to check it in with other baggage.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
Apart from the dozen or so knives that I have donated to the security guards I find that there are very different security rules depending on who you are fly with.
For example I have a jewelers screwdriver for opening the side of Motorola MC75 PDAs. The last one had done over 50 flights with Qantas in my laptop bag. I had to fly Jetstar a few weeks ago and the security morons there pounced on it after putting my bag through the xray 3 times. The non Australian security dude went off at me for daring to cary it with me. :confused:
The next week I was stopped at the Jetstar checkin. The morons made me take all the drill batteries out of my toolbag and made me put them in my laptop bag that I carry on. I questioned them about it and they said it was a federal regulation. The fact that these batteries had flown into half the airports in Australia with no issues before was not taken into consideration. Morons.

Ive also been used to test the screeners at the airport. Talk about people ****ting themselves when a 9mm pistol showed up on the xray. :D

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Fair enough Gee, but what does this BS stop, everyone has to fly in there undies and your not allowed to take and luggage with your, or bring back presents for the kids...... The precautions don't get reduced, they multiply, see if you say the same thing in another couple of years when they bust you for that lethal pen you have in your top pocket. So we are being stopped from doing what we normally do, one little bit at a time....
Mate I know exactly what it's like, ie, I was working in India just after the Mumbay attack, flew in and out of New Delhi, Indian security was frantic, airport was full of soldiers with machine guns hanging loosely over their shoulder (worry), even Army personnel checking you as you entered the terminal front door, if you were early for your flight they were turning people away, this was well before you got to normal security.

I was thoroughly searched, all carry on bags were tagged, I got bumped as I was standing in the boarding line and the tag came off somewhere, they wouldn't let me on the plane, so they had to rush me back through the whole system again, yes inconvenient but the terrorists haven't won.
Interestingly, in the US last year I thought it was quite relaxed, Brisbane was worse than LA, a lot of fuss about the body scans but I was never asked to do one.

·
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mate I know exactly what it's like, ie, I was working in India just after the Mumbay attack, flew in and out of New Delhi, Indian security was frantic, airport was full of soldiers with machine guns hanging loosely over their shoulder (worry), even Army personnel checking you as you entered the terminal front door, if you were early for your flight they were turning people away, this was well before you got to normal security.

I was thoroughly searched, all carry on bags were tagged, I got bumped as I was standing in the boarding line and the tag came off somewhere, they wouldn't let me on the plane, so they had to rush me back through the whole system again, yes inconvenient but the terrorists haven't won.
Interestingly, in the US last year I thought it was quite relaxed, Brisbane was worse than LA, a lot of fuss about the body scans but I was never asked to do one.
TSA keep opening everything on me in LA and Houston, but they are fairly civilized and its more of where I'm flying in from that is the alert. But they are nothing compared to the nazi's we have here. They rarely even give me a second look and when I come home they know me and it's straight out the door. But some of the people are nearly in tears because some uniform wearing wanna be cop is giving them the third degree. It's bloody criminal, but some dude with a tea-towel over his head walks on by because the wenkers are chit scared of getting hit with the racism card and losing their $5 and hour job. Put some people in a fake uniform and they get the old little hitler syndrome all fired up.

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
got done bringing back too much alcohol duty free...well it was worth a try...had to leave it in these two big 44 gallon drums..had a look in and saw some nice drops of alcohol at the bottom of them. i choose which ones i wanted to keep and the other three bottles i grabbed as hard as i could on the neck and raised it above my head and sent it crashing into the bottom of the 44. smashing both mine and a couple of others in their. the security freaked out and said i could not do that and to place them in there..i asked why and could not give me an answer so i proceeded to throw the next two in with no comment from the security, and smashed a good lot of expensive alcohol in the process. stuff em if i can't have it then no-one can.... One of my mates works in security and he has the best collection of alcohol known to man in his house...mmm i know he did not buy it.... these boys this night went home empty handed and could not say a word to me for doing it....oops my bad...

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
Not that I am a racist but does anybody else worry that just about everyone in security in Sydney airport is a towel head?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
TSA keep opening everything on me in LA and Houston, but they are fairly civilized and its more of where I'm flying in from that is the alert. But they are nothing compared to the nazi's we have here. They rarely even give me a second look and when I come home they know me and it's straight out the door. But some of the people are nearly in tears because some uniform wearing wanna be cop is giving them the third degree. It's bloody criminal, but some dude with a tea-towel over his head walks on by because the wenkers are chit scared of getting hit with the racism card and losing their $5 and hour job. Put some people in a fake uniform and they get the old little hitler syndrome all fired up.
Got to tell you, HaHa, a couple of years ago the safest I ever felt on a plane was boarding in Accra (Ghana) with 250 Muslim's who were on their way to Mecca for the Haj.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts