Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will most likely update this post later on but wanted to post some information about my new car. I made a post about I found it hard to find the right car. I looked around for months and saw/test drove several cars but most had issues or didn't give me a good vibe.

Fast forward to last week when I drove to look at a new car. Initially I wasn't interested as it was a -95 GQ hence the NA blacktop and with my plans in mind I wanted to get the earlier model with the stronger intervals. The car also had more km than I wanted at 526K. However I asked some questions as the car did look like it would fit the bill and the price was lower than many others I had seen in worse condition. I get sent invoices which seemed to state that the car had had a engine swap 4 years ago to an earlier model. I did a history check and everything seemed to add up. I tracked down he last two owners with phone numbers on the paper work.

Everything seemed fine, the swap was done professional by a 4x4 business and I got told that they had painted the rocker cover black (standard at this place appearntly). The vacuum pump on the alternator also. I got hold of the owner who had sorted out all this and it seemed fine so I decided to have a look.

First off the car drove better than any car I had driven before, engine started fine and steering and braking was great. I drove way better than some cars I had tried with 200k on the odometer. Another big one was the lack of rust. No rust in the sills, gutters or around doors. Even the chassis was is great nick. The only place I could find rust was on a few scratches on the panels which was very shallow and the old original exhaust. Still, better than most I have seen. After getting some more history about the car and what had been done over the last few years I was confident enough to put a deposit on the car. I arrived home last night with my new GQ.

First photos (She will need a proper clean for starters)
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This section is used to plan and keep track of jobs that need to be done and things I want to have done. Priorities. Once done the item will be marked and if documented a page number assigned.

1. Clean/inspect suspect power steering fluid leak. Rectify if needed.
2. Clean door cards, install new speakers and renew moisture barriers.
3. Sound proof front doors.
4. Follow up on damp passenger side floor pan after heavy rain.
5. Research and possibly remove dust inside speedo/Odometer.
6. Full service of all fluids and filters for peace of mind.
7. Reconnect stereo and pull wiring for under seat sub. Consider rear door speakers
8. Install new check valve for the wiper motor assemble (rear sprayer leaking)

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As the car is new to me I haven’t got to do anything fun yet however I have been catching up on all fluids, service protocol, tidy up electrical wires and today I came across another interesting and annoying catch up project. One of the previous owners obviously installed some new speakers and reused the moisture barrier. With all the rain in recent day I found one of the door cards bowed more than normal. I knew this needed a fix as one of the plastic plugs had torn the door card corner. I bought some epoxy putty and fibreglass tape to reinforce this area. However after pulling off all door cards I found that both driver side doors had water leaks through the moisture barrier and I had damp door cards as well as some mold. I will need some new moisture barriers and window seals. On the good news someone had sprayed some wax inside the doors so no rust around.

This job is going to take a bit longer than expected as I am doing some sound proofing and installing some two way speakers at the same time. First job will be to sort this water damage and do hack fix of the moisture barrier until I got all the gear to do a proper job.

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Bag Gas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts