Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will hopefully become a bit of a build thread for my latest audio install.

As mentioned in a different thread, I took the plunge and bought one of these units off ebay:
https://www.erisinworldwide.com/home/384-erisin-es7841u-7-universal-2-din-android-80-car-gps-navigation-dab-4g-wifi-tpms-dvr-system.html?search_query=ES7841U&results=1

It arrived on 1/8/2018. Took about 2 weeks shipping. It was very well packaged and arrived in perfect condition.
IMG_3652.jpg
IMG_3653.jpg
IMG_3654.jpg

First job was to get the ISO connector changed to the correct NISSAN spec one.
IMG_3667.jpg

The second connector in the patch harness is for my 4-Camera Around-View Monitor System and my TPMS. Here's the harness installed.
IMG_3669.jpg

First real issue was the mounting brackets supplied with the unit. No matter how I orient them, it is impossible to make them work with the Patrol's dash.
IMG_3675.jpg

I vaguely remember having the same issue when I installed the previous double-DIN unit I had in the car. From memory, these brackets (that I re-used again) are the original ones that came with the 6-CD stacker unit that was in the car when I bought it new in 2014.
IMG_3674.jpg

Not all the holes line up, but it's good enough for now. This won't be the final resting place for the unit anyway. It's more just a test to see how it works.
IMG_3673.jpg

I'm surprised with how well it fits. I tried to take a side-on image to show the fit 'n finish. I'm very chuffed with the result.
IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3672.jpg

I've been messing around with the unit over the last few days. I'm not very familiar with the Android operating system, but I must say, this thing is a VAST improvement over the WinCE unit I had before. It's very fast and everything works really well. It'll take me a while to get it setup the way I want it because there are a myriad of options and menu settings to work through, but so far, I have nothing but praise for the unit.

It connects faultlessly to my iphone and wifi in the house while parked in the garage. Internet connection is perfect.

There were some discussions about startup time of these android units... My TPMS display works through the reverse camera signal. As soon as the IGN is turned on, the TPMS switches on. There is less than 1 second delay between me turning the IGN on and the unit's screeen coming on. It's VERY quick.

I'll update this thread as I go along...

·
Registered
nissan
4,801 Posts
Looks to be same specs as the ES8841U but the 45mm depth would be an advantage for ease of installation and less mass to move over bumps..

Yes, these Android units are light years ahead of the old WinCE clunkers.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
22,294 Posts
Bloody hell, that's a good price. :shock:

Foo

·
Registered
Nissan
130 Posts
Argh! I've lost the link to the main thread on audio equipment! Can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA!

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,521 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interested to get a proper review off of you. That is dirt cheap
Argh! I've lost the link to the main thread on audio equipment! Can someone point me in the right direction?
This is the thread with the most info about the Erisin units.
https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-patrol-discussion-17/double-din-navigation-rev-camera-stereo-398794/

I haven't driven the car since I installed the unit, so a review at this point will be a little light, but I'll be posting some updates as I go along. :wink:

In the meantime the unit I bought (ES7841U) seems to have the same guts as the one @JFF45 bought (ES8841U).

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
18,781 Posts
Seriously considering getting one of these.. I got some SONY thing on sale about 3 years ago.. IT suited me fine at the time but since then i have upgraded phones and it doesn't pair with it and no updates available!

·
Registered
nissan
4,801 Posts
These are sub $300 units with lots of good features. If you want customer service, don’t buy from eBay, spend $1800 or so on an Alpine or whatever.

My last cheap Chinese double din lasted over 5 years.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,367 Posts
I considered my original Joying headunit a disposable item when I bought it. It died and I got a upgrade to the latest version with pretty much double the specs of the first for $50. When it eventually dies I'll probably replace it with another newer version with more features for a bit more dosh. It's no comp winning system but there is certainly a lot of bang for your buck. Makes noise and can drown out the family. What else could a bloke want?

I like shiny stuff

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
20 Posts
Good post AndreiK,

did the unit come with a nissan compatible plug or did you source it elsewhere? My experience with these things is I cut the wires and re-solder them. I'm in the market for a new radio head, I just don't want to cut wires any more;-)

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,521 Posts
Good post AndreiK,

did the unit come with a nissan compatible plug or did you source it elsewhere? My experience with these things is I cut the wires and re-solder them. I'm in the market for a new radio head, I just don't want to cut wires any more;-)
You can usually pick them up from autobahn.

Otherwise any other reputable store selling car audio should have them.

·
Registered
Nissan
522 Posts
How well does the radio work, especially distant stations (AM/FM)?. Is there much background noise from Alternator whine etc.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can I please request that we try to keep the comments and opinions about ebay / Chinese units in the other thread? I'm trying to have this as a build thread which would not necessarily be only applicable to this unit. I would really like not to have it cluttered with background noise. :wink:
Im very interested to see how these units hold up. I will be looking for a shallow mount unit shortly and these things on paper but a quick google for reviews doesnt inspire much confidence.
https://au.trustpilot.com/review/erisin.com
As @JFF45 and @skegbudley said, if you have the cash to spend $1500 every two years, go for it. My crappy WinCE unit I just pulled out cost me $500 (which in hindsight was way too much), is now 4 years old and a dinosaur, but it still works...

did the unit come with a nissan compatible plug or did you source it elsewhere?
I am lucky that I have a good relationship with a harness manufacturer that has access to most of the Yazaki & Sumitomo connectors that Nissan use. I asked them to cut the ISO plug off and crimp new terminals on the wires for the mating OE connector. But yes, as @MQTray said, you can buy patch harnesses from Autobahn.

How well does the radio work, especially distant stations (AM/FM)?. Is there much background noise from Alternator whine etc.
I haven't driven the car since I did the install. I'm planning on getting it out this morning for a quick spin around town. However, I can say that I've had it playing for a good few hours now, sitting in the garage with no issues whatsoever, where my previous unit would sporadically lose FM reception in the same position. So it's a big improvement for me already.

I've also had it switched off for 2 days this week. Switched on the ignition and it fires up straight away. No noticeable boot up of any sort. In fact I think it's quicker than the factory SATNAV in the Qashqai I'm driving at the moment.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts