Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased Gaia GPS for android today, awesome app. I have it backed up, so shoul be able to email it to people if they want it. Good for offline maps, just dl the maps you want from the app before you go out and there is no need for data, all free. PM me your email, preferably your phone enabled, ie, gmail and I'll send it to ya. You can try the lite version from market before you let me know. Not affiliated with Gaia, just thought some might like it for free.

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Confirmed working, so if you want it shoot me an email

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The maps are from cloudmade, you can dl them from the app menu, dl at zoom 15 I found was enough

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Cheers, works well on HTC Desire. Rootkit and running 2.3.2 (gingerbread).

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only thing it needs is turn by turn, but maybe an update may have it one day, still the best I've found for off road on android

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
yeah topo is pretty hard to find. I use oziexplorer on my chinese double din head unit, dual setup with igo8 for turn by turn. Topo maps look good on there.

The google maps navigation is pretty good, there was a program for rootkit iphone which you could download the tiles on your computer and copy them to the phone.. havnt seen it for android yet. Would be heaps handy as you can get more granular in your tile selection zones.

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is an app that does heaps.of maps like google topo, Maverick its called, but you have to view every tile for it to save it to cache. if you have hours to sit and scroll over maps that's fine, that's why I reckon this will do till a better one comes along.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
yeah this older one i had you just dragged your mouse over the map to highlight the area you wanted to download, told it which zoom levels you wanted, and it went and got the tiles. You had to then convert it to another format before loading it. It was very easy, but downloaded a heap of data initially, then compressed it quite well. Best done at work on a decent computer / connection :)

I used to just highlight it, save, and leave it for hours..

This works well, i just finished downloading the greater part of SA, will test it outside soon..

Thanks!

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you can convert maps to OSM format, you should be able to install on this app. I also have Maverick Pro, which that atlas creator does maps for

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
That email you sent me didn't work mate. . . when I hit the button for the attachment it just comes up with 'parse error'.

Unless i'm doing something wrong?

TF

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you can't get the file, go to market and download an app called Blackmoon Attachsave, then after it is installed, go back to the email, click on the attachment and choose the open with blackmoon one and it should load up the app installer.

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
Why not stick with Ozi? I've got it on my Android.

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried ozi, but it was in beta and it sucked

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
True. I have it installed but haven't bothered installing maps to play with yet. I'd assume being beta it will suck and most of it isn't available for install. It is very basic compared to pc version. Thanks for feedback.

Just had a look at Gaia too. Seems the goods compared to Ozi on Android. Can you please email me too [email protected]

Dronus, do you find gingerbread worthwile over froyo on the Desire?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts