Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new ute dodes some nice tank slappers when i hit a decent bump in the rd.
I replaced front spring bushes with some 2nd handies i had which where still good.
New shackles
front chassis shackle bushes seem fine.

this didnt help it any

Then, i took 1 shim out of all my king pin bearings, that fixed it but still happens when you get a narly bump in the rd. still 1 shim to remove all round.

Runs std split rims, yes theyll need a balance, but dont think its the problem.

anything else to check? we are gunna put power steer on it tommorrow, figure it will help a little, plus Psteer is nice.

Point to note is rear suspension is very stiff, is factory fire truck, which has 2 leafs upgraded.

all sterring joints seem fine,etc. steering dampner looks brand new and is a pedders. wheel bearings are fine. It only has 125k on the clock.

Have i missed anything? thinking about redoing king pins with new ones i have here, but cant get that done till sat

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
My new ute dodes some nice tank slappers when i hit a decent

Then, i took 1 shim out of all my king pin bearings, that fixed it but still happens when you get a narly bump in the rd. still 1 shim to remove all round.

Have i missed anything? thinking about redoing king pins with new ones i have here, but cant get that done till sat
You need to check the shims using dial gauge for float and spring balance for drag (used my one for weighing fish) see the page of the manual on nerok website FA) The shims are important and having them too tight should be better than too loose.

Tie rod ends, and idler bush could have a bit of play. I still feel that maybe the kingpin bearings (swivel hub) or wheel bearings are the suspects.

·
Registered
nissan
51 Posts
Definately sounds like the kingpin bearings...
taking some of the shims out obviously made some difference,
but this should only be considered a short term fix.
Things can get pretty scary if a bearing totally collapses

If you have the kit for it, just find the time and put it in,
you'll thank yourself for it later

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
I hate to say it but do search.

I have been through this a few times. done the king pins, helped a small amount repacked the bearings helped alittle more. lh Front wheel bearing shat it's self and bought new bearings and gu locking rings and torqued them up to the correct bearing torque and tightned the front u bolts and it is now all fixed.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
My old MQ wagon got the shackes sometimes after hitting small ruts in the road
The springs pins and bushes were replaced and no more issues
It could be anything really as theres just so much it could be

For the sake of $20-$30 for a full 4 tyre balance and check that would be first on the list

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Also check the front spring hangers for cracks?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
136 Posts
or the one evryone misses is the idler box two ways to fix it rebuild it or the dogy way is put a cable tye around the base to hold the seal in hahaha

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
or the one evryone misses is the idler box two ways to fix it rebuild it or the dogy way is put a cable tye around the base to hold the seal in hahaha
might have something to do but, never fixes the prob. always u bolts, wheel bearings, king pins,wheel balance. Sometimes spring hangers, and if you have extendand shackles your missing the caster wedges

·
Registered
nissan patrol
136 Posts
so kings pins you mean trunyen bearings right

·
Registered
nissan patrol
136 Posts
the only bad things is there are the shims ive down it 3 times now and i havent had a shake for 3 years

·
Registered
nissan
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
had a bit of a look today and turns out the idler arm is really flogged out. just ordered some off ebay.
Is really bad with 45 psi in tyres but not too bad when down around 40 psi.

Packed all my spare king pin bearings, so they will have to wait for a few days off,etc so i can pull out the ones in there and get them pressed out. got new ones under my seat ready to go.

Also the spring hangers have the usual small cracks, but arent too bad yet.

Has anyone ever seen poly bushes in the front spring hangers instead of the steel ones. This fire truck has a few different things going on with it that ive never seen on any of the other MK's ive owned. Its a 4/84 model. I want to replace these as well just to be sure.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Don't tighten the shackle pins up as per manual as they will bind and won't rotate. Just do them up to till firm and make sure the when you bounce up and down they are moving.

·
Registered
nissan
361 Posts
Wheel bearings! I have 33's and did have the worst shakes and wobbles when i hit a bump. I replaced the steering damper with a RTC tough dog one, helped a little. Got new U bolts, helped a little. Pulled the front hubs apart and they were full of mud and all the grease had been burnt out. Went to the Nissan dealer and upgraded to Gq bearings and hub assembly. Works a treat, I still have some movement but considering the size of the tyres and the age of the car its perfect.

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
A steerig dampner ijust that a dampner. You SHOULD be able to drive around with out one, so The need to add 2 is just masking the problem not fixing it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts