Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the fan on my ZD30 the other day, after shutting it down as engine went to limp mode due to overheating... I spun the fan around by hand to see how hard it was to turn, quite easy. The next morning, when the engine was cold, I again spun the fan by hand, and it felt roughly the same.
I realize it needs fixing, but my question is, how hard should it be to turn when engine is hot? Is it supposed to lock up? Or should it just be really hard to turn?
Thanks
Adam
P.S. Did my first mod since getting the Patrol. It now has a shiny new snorkel. Couldn't believe how much debris was in that factory ducting!!!

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
when the motor is cold the fan should be a bit stiff , some resistance to turn, when you first start the car the fan should roar loudly (with some revs) till the silicone fluid inside the fan warms up then the fan sort of free spins, if you turn off the motor once you can hear the fan stop roaring the fan should be easy to turn, sounds like the fan clutch on yours is stuffed, aslong as the radiator isnt blocked and the motor is hot then the fan should roar and resistance noticed turning by hand

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
When my engine is warm I can just flick a blade of the fan enough that the next blade makes it to were I let go of the blade that I turned/flicked.(hope that makes sense) So pretty stiff ;) but in saying this I am chasing a over heating problem as well so this might not be right.
Edit: just checked while the car was cold and I can flick the blade that the next 2 to 2 1/4 blades make it to were I let go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts