Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Put new mags on and had a tyre rotation. Since doing this I have had a ticking noise that sounds like a stone in the tyre. I'm 90% sure its coming from the back. I have checked for movement in the wheel bearings and there good. Checked for something inside the tyres, removed all stones from tread. Cleaned the calipers surrounding areas thoroughly. There no sign of anything hitting anything. The tyres that went on the rear had started to feather. The noise seems to be more noticeable between 70 and 105klm, outside those speeds I very rarely hear it. It's driving me insane.
All ideas welcome.
Cheers
Troy

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Do the rims have centre caps as i have seen these click while driving on some Cruisers

If centre caps are fitted i would take them off,go for a drive & see if the noise is gone

Does the noise change as you speed up or slow down

Regards Don

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Can you jack up the rears & put it on stands & run it & see if you can here where it is coming from or lift up both ends & run it in 4wd

Have you tried manually locking the front hubs (i assume you have auto hubs) & driving it to see if it makes a difference

Have you checked/greased the driveshaft uni joints

When the noise is happening does lightly touching the brake pedal make a difference

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
wear indicators

How new are your brakes? it could be the wear indicators letting your know your brakes are just about gone....

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you jack up the rears & put it on stands & run it & see if you can here where it is coming from or lift up both ends & run it in 4wd

Have you tried manually locking the front hubs (i assume you have auto hubs) & driving it to see if it makes a difference

Have you checked/greased the driveshaft uni joints

Regards Don
Hi Don, no I havent run it on stands. Although I have manually spun it on stands and heard nothing. As for the hubs I'll lock them in tomorrow and try it on the way to work. I greased the shafts and uni's about 4 weeks ago. I'll try running on the stands also and see what I can come up with that way.
Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the noise is happening does lightly touching the brake pedal make a difference

Regards Don[/QUOTE

No noise difference when breaking, it just slows down with speed

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If it happened after you rotated the tyres have you tried swapping the tyres back to where they were to see if it makes a diiference

Also have you checked the balance weights to see that they are not loose

Audible pad wear indicators (squealers) generally squeal unless there is a high spot on the disc but did you check the pads while you were cleaning around the caliper area

If you put it into neutral while it is happening does it make any difference or lift off the accelerator in gear

Did you do anything else before the noise happened

I dont suppose there is anything loose/flapping/vibrating underneath that is getting caught in air flow at high speed & making the noise

Regards Don

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it happened after you rotated the tyres have you tried swapping the tyres back to where they were to see if it makes a diiference
(if the hubs don't work I'll try that)

Also have you checked the balance weights to see that they are not loose
(no loose weights)

Audible pad wear indicators (squealers) generally squeal unless there is a high spot on the disc but did you check the pads while you were cleaning around the caliper area

(checked the pads and there is plenty there, about 6mm either side of the rotors)

If you put it into neutral while it is happening does it make any difference or lift off the accelerator in gear

(have not tried that, I guess that will prove if it's only happening under load. Will also do that tomorrow)

Did you do anything else before the noise happened
(Only installed the chip)

I dont suppose there is anything loose/flapping/vibrating underneath that is getting caught in air flow at high speed & making the noise

(spent a couple of hours now checking everything from mudflaps to bushes and all looks good)
Regards Don
Cheers Troy

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Does it make a difference if you are going strait ahead or cornering

I assume the tyres on the rear are the same height & are at the same pressure

Regards Don

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it make a difference if you are going strait ahead or cornering

I assume the tyres on the rear are the same height & are at the same pressure

Regards Don
All the same pressures, all 4 tyres purchased at the same time. And no there is no difference when cornering.

I'm coming to the conclusion of all new wheel bearings and brakes but it's little close to Xmas for that and the better half will properly castrate me.LOL

I'll see what tomorrow bring with what you have mentioned and go from there. If a wheel has no movement could it still be a bearing?
Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm wondering if it could be a hair line crack in one of the mag wheel spokes?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A quick update. went for a quick drive up the road. When reversing on full lock I heard a tick from the back. Twice with full rotations of the wheel. @ work so can't get under to have a look. But will investigate tonight.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
ever put a zip tie around someones tail shaft? piss funny to see them looking all over for the noise.
sorry i cant be of any real help.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it looks like Don may well have been on the money the weights. Although I checked them 1 of them seems to be flexing off the rim under pressure. I have stuck some paper underneath it and will take to a tyre shop for a new weight this morning. And that prove my theory.
Thanks all
Thanks Don
Cheers
Troy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts