Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have some crappy toyo 275/70 16s on car at the moment. Can't replace them this week but will be next month. I have to do a 1000k round trip this weekend and wondering what's best pressures for them. All the tyres look like this from everyday driving which I believe is from sidewall flex with not enough pressure maybe? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411780710.625832.jpg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just bought the car. Checked them today with gauge and they are all 32. So thinking too low?

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Looks more like being run along gutters rather than low tire pressure. The dark scrubbed areas aren't all over the tire, for instance from the base of the tread there is a dirty area before the clean area. and the dark area isn't uniform like you would expect from rubbing on the road surface. Maybe a pic showing the bottom of the tire to show any or no bulge from the vehicle weight.

There appears that there are radial lines in the scrubbed parts, not what you would expect from low pressures.

Rob

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bottom of tyre looks a bit flat from weight. I'll grab another pic when home. And yeah and thought that about gutters as it's my wife's daily and my weekend toy. She swears she doesn't hit gutters but I'm not buying it. But still thought 32 is low. I'll report back with a pic

·
Registered
Nissan
157 Posts
Mate with 32 psi you would not have that much rubbing of the tyres on the sidewalls. You wouldn't even have that much with 20 psi in them. 32 psi isn't that low of a pressure to run. I'm saying gutters as well

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
X3 gutters

Why are Toyo tyres crappy??

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
It appears that I got the wrong end of the question. I once almost ruined a set of tires because of under inflation. I would be looking at how they are wearing and if not abnormal, then leave as is. I have 31's on mine and are now running about 36 and this seems to suit my type of driving.

rob

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X3 gutters

Why are Toyo tyres crappy??

Not saying toyo's are crappy mate. Just the ones I have are. They arnt even all terrains. Just highway terrain. And yeah new car so don't want them. But wanted some hard evidence first on this gutter issue. Because misses will be using as a daily and don't want her chewing up a new set of tyres

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that we have sorted its gutters though. What should I do in terms of pressures for this 1000k round trip I have to do :(. Thanks everyone. Appreciated

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,030 Posts
Ballpark figures for full size 4X4 tyres.

38psi Bitumen
28psi Dirt
18psi Sand

32 is minimum paved road pressure but you will get better grip and tyre life with a bit more pressure. The only disadvantage with the extra pressure is comfort and decreased dirt road performance.

Cheers,

·
Registered
539 Posts
I run 40psi in mine for standard hwy driving. When towing the boat I will go 45psi in the rear. I'm about to hit 80,000ks on this set of tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Now that we have sorted its gutters though. What should I do in terms of pressures for this 1000k round trip I have to do :(. Thanks everyone. Appreciated
being a H/T they're probably a Standard Load (SL) rating rather than Light Truck (LT). LT tyres need much higher pressures than SL tyres.

From Toyo's links to Load & Inflation Tables for a SL 114 P275/70R16 tyre:
26psi 1017kg
29psi 1072kg
32psi 1127kg
35psi 1182kg

Those are per tyre. At 32psi, you are certainly not under inflated if its a SL tyre. If it's a LT tyre, you are underinflated.

Some other recommendations here might be over the max inflation pressure for a SL tyre - check your sidewall.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's says max is 44psi. At work at the moment so can't check wheels to see if it ST or LT

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412085938.721011.jpg
Sorry for bad pic. Send me bills for chiropractor for your necks. Does the rating there help with it being a LT or not?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts