22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As heading says looking at 4" boxes with 3" springs or any just better going 4"
Thanks in advance to the guru's

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
I run this combo, it's fine apart from a slightly heavier steering due to the extra caster you get.

I run 33" on standard offset alloys most of the time, but if you were to run 33 or bigger on say -25 rims, you would get much heavier steering again.

I am on the edge of needing adjustable panhards - another inch would make them essential. You will need an adjustable drag link, though, to re-centre the steering wheel after the lift.

You will need extended brake lines and bias bracket too.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
In the gq i'm still running 4 inch drop boxes with my 2 inch lift. Felt a bit heavy at the start but now don't notice it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
What about 4" lift and superior radius arms to suit 3" lift ?
Role reversal :)

You lose 1 degree of caster so steering will be lighter and you may get wander, depending on what caster your particular patrol left the factory with.

According to my Ellery guide, factory caster is 3 to 4 degrees. So if yours was 4 degrees, and you lift it 1", you will end up with 3 degrees which is in spec. But if yours was 3 degrees, you will end up with 2 degrees after a 1" lift (and 1 degree after a 2" lift) which is out of spec.

1 degree doesn't sound like much, but can have a dramatic effect on driveability.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,087 Posts
What about 4" lift and superior radius arms to suit 3" lift ?
I should have got 4s... i dont think the three inch arms correct enough and thats on a 3 inch lift. To the op. It wont matter. Most drop boxes are 3-5

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

Thanks heaps guys, the discussion has answered all my questions and more,
so 4" boxes and 3" lift arms and rods to suit,
for arms and rods whos are the best bang for buck, superior? Or someone else?:):(

·
Registered
Nissan
7,087 Posts
Why do ppl bother with arms? They will never give a ride close to what drop boxes do.
how did you go getting those drop boxes engineered??? As for the ride. My superflex arms are just fine thank you

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Thanks heaps guys, the discussion has answered all my questions and more,
so 4" boxes and 3" lift arms and rods to suit,
for arms and rods whos are the best bang for buck, superior? Or someone else?:):(
Nooooooo

You don't want drop boxes AND arms.

You want drop boxes with standard arms OR 3" Superior Arms without drop boxes.

Reactions: Sydo

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
how did you go getting those drop boxes engineered??? As for the ride. My superflex arms are just fine thank you
Nope not engineered but either is anything else on the Patrol and never been questioned by the police in 10 years. Arms will never give as good a ride as drop boxes simply due the wheels needing to travel forward under compression. If it's just a weekend warrior then it doesn't matter but for touring on bumpy roads boxes are great!

Coz drop boxes are anchors.
Can't say i have been hung up on mine.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Don't get me wrong, they're a compromise which is quite easily lived with (I've got drop boxes now), but they can hold ya up in rough terrain

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I'm not trying to have a go at anyone but i just found the best mod i did to the gq was fit drop boxes. The improvement in ride was unreal but you never know until you do it because you just get used to what you have.

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,774 Posts
I'm not trying to have a go at anyone but i just found the best mod i did to the gq was fit drop boxes. The improvement in ride was unreal but you never know until you do it because you just get used to what you have.
Did your steering wheel feel better on the hi way after fitting drop boxes?
I made a pair of drop boxes 7years ago and there still in the shed. , been thinking lately of fitting them along with the chrome molly adjustable rear arms. Come to think of it i never finished my suspension off :roll:
time for a change and another inch never goes a stray. Think I'll redo the lot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts