Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Any oil rig workers

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  JET-6 
#1 ·
hey guys anyone on here working on oil rigs.I just got a roustabout position on a onshore rig, will be working in the cooper basin, starting 30th of jan.

#3 ·
I HATE choppers. Its like sitting in the back of a bongo van on milk crates with no muffler no aircon and 11 other people. I've done a lot of offshore stuff (mostly semisub drill rigs and big production rigs), moved into onshore now, the drilling equipment is so tiny and cute. the BOP barely comes past your waist. (lesson learned: Dont point and laugh at the baby little BOP, it offends the drillers.)
I'm not directly involved in the drilling but I find the technology interesting.

#8 ·
I work for Woodside but onshore my missus spent ten years doing the hiring for the Goodwyn-Rankin and Cossack rigs (Maintenance) before she changed roles. I had plenty of chances to head out there but i like my own bed at night enjoy the new job Flexedup88

#9 ·
new company Saxon services, contracts with santos.I have heard to go offshore you need around two years onshore experience, and get to get onshore you need to start at the bottom like me, unless you got trades or some other qualifictaions.I had neither, relating to mining anyways, im a spraypainter but i was looking for an entry level job to get me started and got lucky.

#13 · (Edited)
Hi RTD13 i used to be at KGP years ago when i worked for Transfield Worley but when i changed over to Woodside i moved over the hill to the more layed back KBSB i get back over to the gas plant for the odd job every now & then but try to avoid it. By NDT do you mean you certifiy rigging etc?

#16 ·
i will be looking at going offshore soon im sick of my job. anyone hear heard of
NOVBrandt might be going on with them as there right next door to me.

#17 · (Edited)
I work for a large international oil, gas and mining company with over 60,000 staff on its books as the Mechanical Supervisor worldwide and SSA. I've been running my ass off since 1997 and looking back I can say that the people I have worked with offshore and onshore are truly great people and very good friends to have around. I was reading a in time mag last week that offshore oil workers are now classed as having the worst job in the world were as been a I.T manager is rated as number one. I think that is total b*ll*cks be quite honest.
The down side to this industry its way to close networked, everyone knows everyone or is related (more so in the north sea in UK)and this really stops fresh blood be able to enter such a rewarding career. Getting in easy if you know someone and this really needs to change.

Sutto ! NOV is great company they are very good at what they do around the world. Also they aquired ASEP a few years back that has moved them in very intresting direction.

The best way to get on the rigs is to work for a 3rd party service company, ie NOV,Qserv, Haliburton, Weatherford, KCA or look to work for a major surplier CAT, Cummins or as I did I started out build the rig hydraulics on the drill floor and derek. If your looking to work directly for the rigs you need to look at transocean, oceanrig or you get on worldwideworker.com, rigzone.com or oilcareers.com and go in light. If your really want it bad invest in getting a medical WITH a drugs test and your basic offshore sea survival -AKA BOSSET. Without these it be hard but not inpossible but most 3rd party companys will look for these few things on a CV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.