Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here previously owned a Toyota 100 1HD-FTE with the IFS front end??
If so why did you sell it or have any good experiences or bad ones as well??
Sorry if this stands on any toes. :eek:

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
Not owned but worked on a few at ARB and had a loan of a V8 IFS 100 over Christmas. They're ok if you like a torsion bar front end, if you lift them there's very little scope to raise the front. You can wind up the torsion bars, ARB sells a bracket which you can add to the chassis where the torsion bar mounts to re-enforce it to deal with the added stress of being lifted. Macquarie 4x4 used to do a 100 series IFS lifting kit I'm sure there'd be others possibly in the USA.

As to handling, they drive nice. Well the V8 does, I've only done around the block drives in the diesel to check for rattles and squeaks.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
A mate of mine has got one, apart from the lack of lift, it's pretty capable offroad, but way more suited to touring and towing and more suited at that than any Patrol IMO

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Yes I had one for about three years as a work vehicle. They bought the GXL model because it had the turbo motor for the extra power needed for towing a heavy work boat. Then proceeded to pull out the carpet and fit a complete set of vinyl flooring and vinyl seat covers.

Driving it, felt very much like the Patrol in most respects, comfort, steering, handling etc. Power was pretty bloody good towing a big boat, it had plenty of get up and go.

Only issues with it were, hitting a roo, that went under the left front wheel and bent the front wishbone and shock/strut. That was expensive, but I believe there are reinforced wishbone brace kits available now to strengthen this area. Also one of the guys at work busted some teeth off the front diff from giving it stick in reverse on the beach pulling another vehicle out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have done some research on them and yes a weak front diff is the main issue i kept coming up against and i dont want to spend alot (after the purchase price) at beefing up the front end and if i do want to have a play i dont want the weak front diff to always be on my mind. Apart from that they are tempting but patrols just seem so much more simple in the front end.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
The 105 series has a live axle front end and is a very capable truck (for a Toyota anyway)

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Yep still got one. Great motor, good tourer and tow vehicle. As others have said the front end is far too low. And lifting the IFS is a major hassle so it's useless as a 4wd. Same problem the y62 has with its independent suspension all round. The chassis, body and driveline are nothing on the GU patrol for strength. It's a bigger body but feels less sturdy on rough terrain. There are times when you can't get the doors to shut if you've pulled up on a steep track offroad.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I'd have one for sure.

I to think they make the perfect tourer.

Cheers

Justin

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Same as Justin.

Depends on what you want to do (how hard you go at it).

For a tourer they are great, and the 4.2 turboed 1HD-FTE motor is a legend ...

Pity they did not stick with the 80 series set up, mine was pretty much indestructible.

One thing I did find a pain in the mickta is the constant 4 wheel drive, the whip-lash through the drive on a manual could be a little disconcerting at times.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,999 Posts
Yep still got one. Great motor, good tourer and tow vehicle. As others have said the front end is far too low. And lifting the IFS is a major hassle so it's useless as a 4wd. Same problem the y62 has with its independent suspension all round. The chassis, body and driveline are nothing on the GU patrol for strength. It's a bigger body but feels less sturdy on rough terrain. There are times when you can't get the doors to shut if you've pulled up on a steep track offroad.
Coming from a family with both a 105 and a GU, I can't say I've noticed anything like that, if anything the build quality of the body is better on the cruiser, it certainly has less rattles and squeaks.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
If my Patrol was worth more I'd consider selling it for cruiser.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
My dad has a 2002 4.2 turbo that he has had since new.
He is very active in a 4wd club and had done every major Australian trek and plenty of weekend/high country stuff.
Its twin locked with 33's and has never broken a diff, just be careful in reverse. Never snatch off the front.

Only problem I can remember is it went through a stage were the fan kept touching the radiator, was something to do with either the radiator mounts or fan mounting, cant remember the details now.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,821 Posts
Just put the 1HD-FTE into a patrol & you have the best of both. There are two guys in our club that have put the 1HD-FTE into solid axle 105s & they are great vehicles. I can't understand why Toyota didn't put it in the 105 from factory.:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts