Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to tighten up the locking ring in my left front hub this morning, and was reminded that I really need to change the axle seal at the diff as all the screws and bits were coated with lovely slick diff oil :(

When I was rebuilding the hubs, I'd tried to get the diff centre out, but just couldn't wedge it out of the housing so I gave up because I'd had squat all time left at that point (Was just about to head up to Carnarvon). Now that I don't have that rush, I should bite the bullet and do the hard yakka.

So, anyone had experience taking the centre out of the front diff, and if it wasn't really coming out easily, what'd you do? I really didn't want to whack it with a hammer at the time, but will be willing to do it now :p

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the axles had been out, and I had tried using a jimmy bar gently (Was hell paranoid about denting the wrong thing)
Where'd you stick the handle to lever it?

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
this is one thing i have not done but..... really need to!!! Just the front diff i'mm lead to beileve is a pain in the a hole, played with lots of banjo type diffs but not salisbury type diffs.

Can i just undo the bearing caps and pop the diff out and then tension the bearing caps when diff is set back in or do i have to go about setting up back lash and all that b/s again.. Ibguess the front diff is not used that much, but you kinda want it set up half right. .

·
Registered
nissan
436 Posts
I take it you are meaning the diff centre from the housing? It might be stuck in with silicone being used as a gasket, you might need to use a couple of largish screw drivers and prise the centre out that way, I ended up using a cold chisel and gently tapping it out that way, took me ages.
Coils, it depends on what you are doing to the centre once it is out of the carrier, presuming you are replacing bearings and such so the backlash would or should be checked to prevent too much wear

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
nah just want the center out to replace the seals, The c200 diffs are a pain in the a hole, the axel seal, are only accesiable (spelling) with the center out, front diff bearing should be fine they don't get that much work.
so if it was just pulling the center in and out there should be no need to reset the back lash, this correct????

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
coils, apparently if you put it all back in the same it should be pretty right. but after 20+years service its probably out anyway. and how is your pinion seal doing, its probably pretty worn too.

lordbug, i cant remember exactly but i think it was on the back of the centre, the side the ring gear doesnt bolt too. levered it up on that side and it popped out easy from memory. maybe a little twist of the pinion will help it come out. have you read the section of the service manual, it might have some tips too.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, when I finally get around to doing it I'll let you know how it goes.
Really need to do it soon, there's also something making a scraping noise when under power.

glort, it's certainly an option, but I've got plenty of reasons to want to take the hands-on approach, namely the education aspect :)
Having another car helps keep me mobile, and deep breaths keep the rage down ;)

·
Registered
nissan
175 Posts
A pinch bar will prise it out without to much effort make sure you have someway of remembering which side the shims for setting the backlash go back in. Maybe opening mine up again this week as 4wd has disappeared (have drive to the front drive shaft, but not the wheels).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts