Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of upgrading alternators on my td42, but can only find 90a readily available. i was thinking if there was a way to get vacuum other than from alternator, i can whack whatever size alternator i want where the original one was, problem solved. but can it be done?
otherwise if not im thinking of taking off my aircon, and putting another alt there instead. its only a weekender anyways so i dont need ice cold luxury

·
Banned
nissan
189 Posts
some td42s have the vac pump run of the timming gear on the front of the block. youd just need to get hold of of a set up

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Memory not good but I recall someone with a V8 diesel conversion was using an electric motor driven vac pump ? Maybe they'll chime in with some wise words. Would be good to know the source as if you could get rid of the alt driven one it must be a good move. I wonder if there are any safety issues to consider ?

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Both Dodge Cummins and Ford Powerstroke diesels use electric vacuum pumps.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Roachie was the one with the electric vac pump, but I think he found it didn't create vacuum quick enough to keep up with heavy braking so he had to put in a pretty large vac tank.

There are also the 120amp Alt with vac pumps. Ring patrol apart or mile on this forum can get them (maybe mikegq, but just search for 120amp td42)

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Bit of a dig but I'm searching for similar info on replacing the mechanical vacuum pump with an electric unit and a quick search on eBay found yank truck oem replacements (I couldn't add the link)

Would this keep up with brake booster and clutch or are these pumps just a booster?

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Keep searching the USA ebay mate as there is larger one's...... that wouldn't do the job looking at the outlet size

·
Registered
nissan
802 Posts
Keep searching the USA ebay mate as there is larger one's...... that wouldn't do the job looking at the outlet size

Thanks for pointing out the outlet size I didn't pay too much attention to it.
Had another look and found "Hella" makes them aswell and reasonably priced rated at 29.5hg which seems to be around what the factory Nissan units put out..

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Some Audi and VW cars have electric brake vacuum pumps, could sus out the wreckers. I did start to look at it a few years ago as the q pump is not the best after a few pumps on the pedal so thought of a secondary pump inline on a switch. Never did it though..

Reactions: Dieseljoe

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
The other option is to just remove the vacuum system all together and change the brake booster over to either a hydroboost unit (couple of companies do bolt in options) or adapt an electric booster from a cruiser or pajero (just two that come to mind)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts