·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I bought a Chinavision one... $390. Pretty similar functions 'cept mine has dual SD card slots, 1 for GPS and 1 for Music.

I did have to get the latest iGo8 Maps off the internet tho

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
I bought a Chinavision one... $390. Pretty similar functions 'cept mine has dual SD card slots, 1 for GPS and 1 for Music
It's Chinavasion (aka China Invasion ;)). Mine has two SD slots as well, so that you can use the GPS and play music at the same time. The mobile phone Bluetooth works really well, better than anything I've had so far.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
ROFL... yeah, the BT on mine is pretty good also.

The one time I used it (purely out of curiousity) for DVD it got pretty damn hot real quick so no wonder a lot of people put fans on 'em.

I use mine for OziExplorerCE and iGo8 GPS Apps and Blutooth with either the Radio or MP3 files on SD playing.

Apart from a rather long mute period when it switches between iGo8 voice and music/radio it does everything I want... as I am running factory Satnav as well I rarely use iGo8 so Pffft, no biggee.

Benno's link looks like a nice enough Unit tho.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
They both look awesome, but Rays is cheaper.

Ray, what kind of maps can you use with yours? Can it use Hema and Topo maps as well. I am considering getting the Hema Nav or VMS, but if one of these systems can handle Hema and Topo maps, it is well worth considering. I'm mainly looking for a GPS that doesn't lock to known streets and just tells you where you are, hence the VMS or Hema.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
They both look awesome, but Rays is cheaper.

Ray, what kind of maps can you use with yours? Can it use Hema and Topo maps as well. I am considering getting the Hema Nav or VMS, but if one of these systems can handle Hema and Topo maps, it is well worth considering. I'm mainly looking for a GPS that doesn't lock to known streets and just tells you where you are, hence the VMS or Hema.
It comes with iGo8, which I use for city navigation as required, and I've also installed OziExplorer CE and MapTrax 1:25,000 topo maps for bush travelling. You just switch off one navigation system and start the other one. It defaults to whatever was the last navigation program enabled on start up.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Thanks, Ill have a look at them.

The reasons I liked the one I linked to is that:
- it had a big volume button on the front of it
- had the USB slot on the front so I can link ECUTalk to it very easily if required (from dashtop LCD display)
- 2GB memory capable
- free reversing camera
The unit I got has a USB slot at the back, but comes with a cable you can bring out anywhere under the dash, as required. I use a 4GB card for the GPS because of the extra maping and a 2GB for music, as that's all I need at the moment, but I think it'll take more. I already had a reversing camera installed that cost about $20 from ebay, so fitting was a doddle.

Cheers

Ray

·
nissan
19,131 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get a 7" touch screen gps stand alone unit. it was $250 and i runs ozi and other navi software
Thanks for the suggestion. I am making a roof console and transferring the indash gauges to one side of it so I am looking to fill a double din hole in the dash ;) so I dont think such a screen will be suitable for what I want.

I assume this is the type of screen you are referring to:
7" Touch Screen GPS Navigator FM Transmit Bluetooth (eBay item 280522495520 end time 14-Nov-10 21:52:42 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Did you blokes find a copy of Ozi or buy it from oziexplorer?
Hiya Benno

I bought mine also. It is IMHO a cracking bit of world class software and well worth the money that Des asks for it.

Whilst I freely admit to "trialing" lots of software from the Torrent Sites. I do buy or donate to the ones that are IMHO worthy of my support.

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I am making a roof console and transferring the indash gauges to one side of it so I am looking to fill a double din hole in the dash ;) so I dont think such a screen will be suitable for what I want.

I assume this is the type of screen you are referring to:
7" Touch Screen GPS Navigator FM Transmit Bluetooth (eBay item 280522495520 end time 14-Nov-10 21:52:42 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

it was just convient for me be because i allready had a dash pod to put it on, a was looking at a double din unit but they were a bit pricey for me.

cheers

·
The Bear
nissan
2,413 Posts
What did u end up getting Benno, I like the rotary knobs for those functions too, but at Ray said theres cheaper ones out there that do the same stuff. No point paying a premium for junk that comes out of the same factory/s, all the same software and guts. when tou get them going they work well.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Does anyone in Brisbane have one of these? I wouldn't mind having a play with one before forking out for it.

Interested in the dual zone features as well as general look and feel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts