Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is it a hard job to do? or should i leave it to the pros...

i will be changing the rubber aswell

i have been qouted $280 all done and installed with new rubber or i can get the glass and rubber for $200 and have a crack my self

cheers guys

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Last time I had mine done, Wizard Windscreens came to me and did it for $180. In fact they've replaced two of my Patrol's screens over the years and it's always been $180.

Cheers

Ray

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
If you're doing it for fun. go ahead. But for $80 - I'd leave it to the pro's!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
$80 difference between you doin it or the pros
Pay the $80

I done mine in the MK ute month or two ago,by myself
Can be done,just slow and steady
IF ya do it ya self ensure a blanket goes down on the bonnet

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
to remove a screen intact.. use a decent stanley knife, soapy water and sacrifice the rubber.
to remove a rubber intact - sacrifice the windscreen.

Ute rear windows arent too hard to get out all together though.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Did several years back on HT's when we was young and too tight to pay the bux

but fawk doing it now, CBF to start with, and if they are supplying it its worth them fitting it.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Mike H,
Bang on the money rite there

Truckster,
The early holdens are a pain
Worse part is when ya crack a screen and its ya mates car

·
Registered
490 Posts
When i got mine done the windscreen mob said if the seal is the genuine one they replace them, if it's already aftermarket there's no need, might save some $ if it's already an aftermarket one in it.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
if its still got the am radio antenna on the screen it should still be the origional screen.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Let them do it as they brake it it their prob, it leaks then again it their prob but if it leaks and you did it you might be chasing it forever

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
I watched the crash repairs mob do mine the other day.

They attached the seal to window all the way around.

I mentioned to them , that i had read a post on here where a blokes 18 month old windscreen had started leaking !

They put some sort of windscreen sealer in the top fold of the windscreen seal.

they put some 8mm heavy braided cord in the grove that goes on the flange of the body. starting on the bottom, 6inched to the right of centre alll the way around , clockwise, until the cord was back to the bottom overlapping where it had started by 200mm.

Three people lifted the screen up into position and centered it. With one person applying pressure where the overlapp of the cord was at the bottom of the screen, a person inside started pulling the cord out slowly, at ninety degrees to the edge of the screen.

As he was doing that the screen/rubber seated down onto the "body flange", seemed to take a bit of extra care at the corners. When the cord was all out the job was done , with just a little tapping with the palm of the hand to bed it down a little .

Now if mine leaks on 18 months I can take it back!

Don't know if the above helps,

cheers Greg

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Mike H,
Bang on the money rite there

Truckster,
The early holdens are a pain
Worse part is when ya crack a screen and its ya mates car
yea it was a rule that owner was involved, it wasnt a workshop, usually mates front yard :) owners job was to make sure it was sealing while couple of us pushed the screen/rubber. most time took a few goes to get it

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Fishmagnet,
Yeah pritty much somes it up i think
Make sure that the rubber does goes over the flange of the body when pulling on the rope
I made a hook outta thick wire bent up to suit,
Just incase the rope didnt get the rubber where i wanted it

But 3 people fitting a windscreen ,fug thats ovakill

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
New screens are hard to break. I have done all of mine, 10 mins 15 if it is a pain 2 people and have done it by my self as well. done the rear windows and the barn door windows my self.

just get your self some washing line cable the one with the plastic over it. poke in the slot.
sit window in and pull the cable out while some one holds small amount of pressure on the screen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts