Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking at the cumbersome way the turbo conversions feed from the front intercooler to the intake on the turbo converted TD42 and wondered if anyone had blanked off the top inlet and hacked a hole in the side of the manifold and sort of blended a nice aluminium pipe facing the front of the car? The inside diameter of the pipe bend on my setup is smaller than the turbo outlet as well! Probably flow a lot nicer and look better if the intake was modded. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have seen them done, can't remember where though. The laminova coolers are integrated into the manifold and do exactly what you are suggesting, as well as cooling the charge air.

·
Registered
675 Posts
How many threads are you going to open on your build?
You even have one in the Y61 section, asking similar questions as you did on another thread here!
Keeping your query's in one thread would be better.
If you don't like the answers here, try another forum.
The main object of an intake manifold, after cooling, is even distribution, so your idea of putting it in the front would negate this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bruza, excuse me for being organised and laying things out in an easy manner so the next person with a similar question can find it !!!

A thread in the Y61.. good heavens, a faux pas if ever there was one.
Thanks for the link Canuk (see Bruza how was i going to find a thread about intakes with a title of 'oldmav ute' )

Dismount from high horse... :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
yeah I've done it, cant find the bloody camera though..
The "log" of the standard manifold is too small, so you should fix that while you're at it.

There's a photo of someone else's attempt (much prettier than mine) in the latest 4wd custom guide issue number 34 page 12. I do have a criticism of their execution though, it restricts access to the injection pump for repair or adjustment too much.

I milled the top of the manifold off apart from the last 60mm or so at both ends.
then made up a box on top from 3mm ali plate. just over three inches high, front and back of the box slope down at 45 degrees to meet the top of the original manifold.
3 inch mandrel bent pipe comes out the side of the box curving forward and downward slightly.
I'm running 20 psi through it. Making reasonably good power but I haven't seen many others run three inch pipes, most seem to go with 2.5 inch.

Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing with welding it. and clean the manifold so its completely spotless. make sure you use clean tools to cut and shape the ali because metal contamination makes welding a bitch.
when welding bolt the manifold to a spare head or large lump of steel. It WILL warp, its just a question of how much.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks man, love to see some pics of yours.

Okay this is what I meant. ..(made pic before you posted)
still entering at middle but from low down and forward

1 - 14 of 14 Posts