Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, I'm getting totally feed up with this problem, I have had both tough dog and rancho's, and both have the same problem, of the adjusting dial moving on there own, mainly happens after being in the bush, but have noticed once or twice now, they have done it after a prolonged time on raod and no off road driving, it's really getting to me to the point where I'm serioulsy thinking about ditching them for none adjustible shocks

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
although i cant answer your question directly. both are imo rubbish.
although the short amount of time i had ranchos on my trol i never noticed them moving. but i cant really think of any way that doesnt involve gaffa tape to fix it. its possible the ratcheting mechansim has lost its positive click.
i dunno if its an option but i havent had a drama with my adjustable src shocks but are fetching a premium and also a fair waiting list.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Have you mounted the the shocks so adjustent dials not exposed and hard to get too?

My Boss shocks are adjustable and have never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Adjustable shocks with the little dial are a gimmick, just put the right ones on in the first place, theres no need to fiddle.

However I believe you can by replacement parts for some adjustables. Try some new knobs.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't agree with the statement there a gimmick, set them at 9 nice and road friendly even with out sway bars , set them to zero for off raod and you can feel the difference, that's not a gimmick if you ask me. yes the adjusters are faced in towards the brake disc on the rear and they are faced backwards on the front (away from the diff housing), yes they are both over priced shocks, but atleast the rancho's are half the price of a tough dog big bore, and do exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
nissan
804 Posts
maybe you can get them to seize up like the tough dog shocks on my truck. Thats why im going foxs. They are the same price as tough dog adjustables but way better.

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
never had this hapen to mine (**** tough dog dont last a yr ) you could fit a in car kit $500+
or take theam out set theam n super gule theam put theam back in

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Yom said:
Put them in the bin.
great advice...
IMWO ranchos are ****. ****in hated mine after the 3rd free replacement set.. great gimmick on the soft/hard.. yes you can feel it but you dont need it.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Put them in the bin.
Mine are sitting on the workshop floor now never to go back. Were on the GQ for 7 years though! One front and one rear had started to leak.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i never had a probblem with the tuff dog shockies i had , what killed mine was bottoming out hard at speed (jumping an unseen storm drain 3 meters wide x 2 meters deep), other than that they worked as they should, i have boss adjustables now on the rear and on one side the adjuster has seized and needs pliers to adjust plus they are starting to leak, complete crap IMHO

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
I have TD big bores and have noticed the same problem. Thought it was me not remembering what setting I had put them on but mine always seemed to go to the harder end rather than softer which surprised me.

SRC shocks on the way so goodbye crap. Mine only lasted about 5000km's in front.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
7yrs is a long time and alot changes.
I must of been lucky with my Rancho's. I wouldn't use them on a Patrol again though.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,153 Posts
My Rancho's on the Rodeo are the old model with 5 position settings not 9. I have heard they are not the same quality now that they used to be. Mine have never moved or frozen up.

·
Registered
nissan
135 Posts
from memory i think i remember see'ing adjuster dials on them (crappy looking) src shocks too lol.... for the money there asking they could make them look a bit nicer/ they look cheap and nasty in the pic's. hear they work ok but...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts