Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kinda books you like? I myself am a fan of fantasy.

I am reading a series of serieses (if that makes sense) collectively called "Tale of the Three Worlds" by Ian Irvine. Would have to be one of the best series I have ever read. Tolkein has nuthin'!

Irvine is an aussie author BTW.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
I'm a reader. Read most everything that walked or crawled at one time or another. Mostly English novelists but some foreigners as well.

I am particularly familiar with English writers from the 17th Century to date. Even wrote a thesis on the Rise of the Novel.

Best ever writer (excluding the playwrights) was Swift. He even created words eg Yahoo.

I like Thomas Mann, Gogol, Nikos Kazantzakis too.

Modern novelists? Not as good as some of the oldies, but do like James Clavell.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist I'm afraid.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Larry Niven has to be one of the most interesting SciFi writers.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
Mary Gentle is an writer I like, has some different themes in her stories. But then I spend 2 hours a day on the train so I read a lot. Mic when I'm finished my current book maybe I'll have a look at what you're reading.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mary Gentle is an writer I like, has some different themes in her stories. But then I spend 2 hours a day on the train so I read a lot. Mic when I'm finished my current book maybe I'll have a look at what you're reading.
It's awesome!

Start with the "View from the Mirror" quartet. This is the beginning.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
I persoanlly hate reading fiction. Spend alot of time reading history, religions, science but alot of war stuff, especially from long ago.
Al

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
I enjoy reading Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy, I have read just about everything they have written. I also read alot of history predominately war and alot on weapons.

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
What kinda books you like? I myself am a fan of fantasy.

I am reading a series of serieses (if that makes sense) collectively called "Tale of the Three Worlds" by Ian Irvine. Would have to be one of the best series I have ever read. Tolkein has nuthin'!

Irvine is an aussie author BTW.
I am currently reading the 2nd lord of the rings books. Just finished the first. I am not sure what the hype is all about. They are ok but not that great.
I am a huge fan of the Dune serious by Frank Herbert and they are a far better the the Lord of the Rings.
I have also read a bit a Isaac Asimov. The Foundation series are great. But also enjoy the robot books.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
I'm a big fan of Fantasy i've read the Lord of the Rings, Hobbit ect. Also most of Raymond E Fiest novels. But at the moment i'm right into Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
I read all kinds of things, history, religion, auto repair manuals, law, finance, various novels, animals, short stories, travel, music, whatever else comes to hand. I'll even read those relationship books that chicks seem to dig if that is all there is.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I like historical novels, particularly Napoleonic seafaring tales. My favourite author is Patrick O'Brian who wrote Master and Commander, one of a series of 21 novels. I've read the complete series twice. I used to tell the missus that I was going sailing and then disappear into the dunny for several hours.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like historical novels, particularly Napoleonic seafaring tales. My favourite author is Patrick O'Brian who wrote Master and Commander, one of a series of 21 novels. I've read the complete series twice. I used to tell the missus that I was going sailing and then disappear into the dunny for several hours.
Hahaahaa! I do the same! Historical novels are cool.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Gotta give a plug for one modern but interesting book. Bridget Jones Diary.

No points for literary merit but an absorbing read. I also like Renee Zellweger who played Bridget in the film. I particularly liked the scene where she was running thru the street in her nightie.

I would have liked to have been her saviour and rescued her from her difficulties. Unfortunately, because of my dubious moral character, at times, it would probably end up with me hanging out of her before she got home to the safety of her flat. Such is life.

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
I just finished the Steig Larson Trilogy, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo/Who Kicked the Hornets Nest/Played with Fire. Outstanding crime series.

Before that, The Man in the White Suit (Ben Collins) and one of Dr Karl's books (latest one).

·
Ring In..... for now
nissan
282 Posts
if you are into fantasy, nothing touches Robert Jordan (yes I've read all the Ian Irvine books, and they are ok, but Jordan was in a league of his own. Sadly he passed recently prior to finishing the series, but Sandersan is doing a good job of ffinishing from his Jordans original notes)

other than that, David Gemmell, Terry Goodkind, Maggie Furey, Gordon Kent (military), I could go on all night......

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you are into fantasy, nothing touches Robert Jordan (yes I've read all the Ian Irvine books, and they are ok, but Jordan was in a league of his own. Sadly he passed recently prior to finishing the series, but Sandersan is doing a good job of ffinishing from his Jordans original notes)

other than that, David Gemmell, Terry Goodkind, Maggie Furey, Gordon Kent (military), I could go on all night......
Got my attention!

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
I just finished the Steig Larson Trilogy, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo/Who Kicked the Hornets Nest/Played with Fire. Outstanding crime series.

I saw the movie The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo the other week. Sounds like I might have to read the books.
I found the movie very good. Although a little hard to keep track of the plot due to trying to keep up with the subtitles. The visuals were quite good in the movie and trying to soak them in and at the same time reading subtitles did my head in a little.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I like Bernard Cornwell (specialy the Sharpe Series) and Matthew Reilly.

Matthew is based in sydney, and writes with a snappy - fast action pace.

·
Premium Member
nissan
142 Posts
i read most books, loved the dune series also loved the thomas covenant series (Forget who wrote them) and a great fan of Mattew Reilly

Tim

1 - 20 of 38 Posts